FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Morning Suit Hire

Hi

I've recently been asked to be a best man and I went along with the groom to a fitting for morning suits at Moss Bros.

Now I'm pretty slim and tend to wear slim cut suits but I was preparing myself for the fact the hire suits would be a much more general shape designed to fit as many different body types as possible. Even so when I tried on "my size" it really did look just terrible on me. To illustrate, the suit that "fit" the groom (who is my height but is much stockier) and myself were exactly the same size. Now he would never fit into one of my suits from my wardrobe and I would never fit into one of his suits from his wardrobe, but we're expected to wear the same size when it comes to a hire suit.

So basically I was just wondering if anyone knew of any morning suit hire places in London that catered to a slimmer build or had a wider range of sizing options? Its not my wedding so I'm happy to make compromises but it would be nice to feel like you're not wearing your dad's suit when everyone else is all dolled up.

Thanks very much for your help!!

Trend Setter
    I had this problem a few years ago. I naively went to my local tailors to hire full morning suit. It was a traditional wedding, so striped trousers, white shirt etc so very little decisions for me to make, other than the colour of the waistcoat and tie.

I'm pretty short and slim, and I looked pretty awful. For a start the trousers tend to be cut very loose, far looser than i would ever buy!

Trend Setter
    What's funny is morning suit trousers are traditionally supposed to be a slim cut, it was the youth of the 20's that brought in a trend to straight leg pants for suits, which we now see as the conservative cut, but really it isn't even how this garment is to be worn.

+ Reply to Thread