FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2
    Sam

Style Icon
    Fair enough.
    Consider the brown plaited belt though; you're right that those shoes are in quite an unusual colour, but plain old brown is near enough I think. I actually wrote about this for the website:
    How To: Co-ordinate Leathers | Fashionbeans.com
    There's a thing or two I would have added to that article if I'd written it a month or two later - the main one is that when in doubt as to whether your belt and shoes match close enough, base the decision on which one's darker; if your belt is a darker tone than your shoes you're usually good to go, but the other way round is rarely as successful.
    I can't explain this, it's just something I've established through trial and error.
    Last edited by Sam; 26-02-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Fair enough.
    Consider the brown plaited belt though; you're right that those shoes are in quite an unusual colour, but plain old brown is near enough I think. I actually wrote about this for the website:
    How To: Co-ordinate Leathers | Fashionbeans.comThere's a thing or two I would have added to that article if I'd written it a month or two later - the main one is that when in doubt as to whether your belt and shoes match close enough, base the decision on which one's darker; if your belt is a darker tone than your shoes you're usually good to go, but the other way round is rarely as successful.
    I can't explain this, it's just something I've established through trial and error.
    Fair enough. The ASOS belt I've settled for is pretty similar in terms of light/dark, it's just a little more orange to the shoe's pink, but I think it's fine. It's a fairly ridiculous thing to agonise over to be honest, I doubt anyone will really notice unless I bump into another Fashionbeans member

Sam

Style Icon
    I hope your watch strap matches too

Style Icon
    Certainly not, that's way too much effort It's standard dark brown leather, matches a LOT of my wardrobe, but not these...quite likely to wear it less when it warms up anyway though to avoid a sweaty wrist

Sam

Style Icon
    Yeah. Watch straps should match tonally... beyond that you're pretty much fine.
    Or you could get one that's not leather. Might alleviate the sweaty wrists too!

Style Icon
    Yeah, was considering getting a canvas strap one for summer, maybe with a coloured strap. Need to slow down with the wardrobe building though, spent way too much recently.

Trend Setter
    i have similar shoes and wear a tan woven belt with them.

Col

I understand the notion of relaxing the matching-belt-to-shoes concept for casual looks but I have taken to wearing navy suede shoes with my smart outfits at work. Fortunately there is a hint of brown (not mud/poo before anyone asks) lining the top of the shoes, so I feel I can get away with wearing a brown belt. However should I ideally be looking to opt for a blue belt? If so, what sort? Surely canvas would be way too casual for the rest of the look (trousers/shirt combo)?
    "Only great minds can afford simple style." (Stendhal)

I don't think you need a blue belt. For me, the key thing is to not mix black leather with brown leather. A brown belt with navy shoes, or vice versa would be fine.

I have a shiny metallic holographic belt that sounds terrible but goes with everything

+ Reply to Thread