FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Men's Basic Plain T-Shirts. Where Do You Get Yours?

Basic plain t-shirts are a wardrobe staple. Every retailer does them. Available in every colour imaginable they work with every pair of jeans, chinos, trousers, cardigans, jackets, coats, you name it.

But where do you get yours? Why are they the best? Do you buy on price alone? Or do you consider fit and material?

I have been buying mine from H&M, I buy the organic cotton range. At £7.99 each, available in most colours, slim fitting and soft to the touch. I think they could compete with any plain t-shirt on the market.

What do you think?

I generally buy Topman ones, but I do love American Apparel ones too; they are more expensive but the quality seems to justify the cost.

Oh, All Saints ones in the sale/archive, too.

Editor-In-Chief
    I have mentioned this on another thread recently - but I don't hear anything but positive feedback from those who have purchased American Apparel t-shirts - both in terms of quality and fit. Unfortunately I do not own any yet, as I never get round to using their unfriendly website and we have no stores near where I live.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Herbert View Post
    I have mentioned this on another thread recently - but I don't hear anything but positive feedback from those who have purchased American Apparel t-shirts - both in terms of quality and fit. Unfortunately I do not own any yet, as I never get round to using their unfriendly website and we have no stores near where I live.
    What do you have Ben?

Trend Setter
    Pretty much all my tees are from All Saints sales and the archive used to be good for such things. I have worn and washed them to death and all have been fine, occasionally you get a duff tee from there that goes in holes but I think they've fixed that issue this year according to their descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Pretty much all my tees are from All Saints sales and the archive used to be good for such things. I have worn and washed them to death and all have been fine, occasionally you get a duff tee from there that goes in holes but I think they've fixed that issue this year according to their descriptions.
    It's just cos some of them are such fine material. Will definitely be loading up on them again when the sales hit.

Editor-In-Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by electroRoss View Post
    What do you have Ben?
    Obviously running a fashion site does have its perks, so I have been gifted a few items and also received some discounts on certain expensive pieces. I am a fan of ACNE basic t-shirts in terms of fit and overall quality - although you are going to pay a premium for them so I would hesitate recommending them to everyone - especially if you are on a tight budget, use them regularly and would wear them out quickly!

I liked All Saints just for the fit, but the quality tends to lack sometimes - a few of mine have developed small holes or the neck seam came away slightly too quick for my liking. Also I am trying to stay away from the 'Ram Skull' right now.

Other brands I have tried that I thought were of decent quality are YMC, Scotch & Soda, Reiss and even Diesel. Again these cost a little too much I would think if you are shopping on a budget. It is all relative to how much you would spend on other items and what your priorities are.

The key (I think) is to load up on the basics from the premium brands when they go on sale - you can usually get £40 tees for around £15 - I do all my basics shopping in the sales usually & never buy anything else unless I already had my eye on it or the deal is just too good to be true.

I have also purchased from Topman, Burton, Gap etc. and I must say Gap seemed to have the best fit and quality from the High Street. I have yet to try Zara, UNIQLO and H&M's range though. Cheap Monday is another brand that comes in at a lower price point and they seem to fit me really well. In fact I like their whole range for quality in relation to price.

Someone needs to tell us what they think about Zara and UNIQLO in particular, as I have high hopes for them....
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

I have a few basic Zara tees, and the quality is a bit of a mixed bag. A couple have lasted really well, a couple have lost their shape after a few washes.

I have to say that I have been impressed by Asos Black ones.

So far I only only really bought Topman and American Apparel. I do not rate Topman and would never buy from there again, I don't rate the quality/fit of any of their t-shirts. In contrast, AA's t-shirts are both great fit and great quality. They can be a little on the expensive side for some people (but for me taking into consideration the use you get out of them) but as another member mentioned, get them in the 3-packs.

+ Reply to Thread