FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Advice On Updating My Wardrobe Please?

Hey there, updating wardrobe and was looking for a few pointers. I've always stuck with bootcut jeans, hoodies, tees and trainers. Not a massive fan of skinny jeans & chinos etc. though I'm toying with the idea, I like just normal trainers instead of all these plimsoles/boat shoes etc. So apart from bootcut jeans what else would go with the usual astro trainers? Cheers for any feedback.

Jay

Style Icon
    Bootcut jeans don't go with anything unless you are considering entering a wild west rodeo.

Your request is just to vague for anyone to be of any accurate help. The best thing you can do is go to the street style section of this site, find a few looks you like from there, post them so folks can get an idea of what you are aiming for and then they might be able to help you better.

Will do thanks and what I was asking is, if I'm to buy chinos or straight cut jeans, is it acceptable to wear astro trainers with them or is it better to wear either boots or plimsoles which i'm not a huge fan of?

Style Icon
    Hi, check this look out: (originally posted by likeeatingglass in the wishlist thread)

These shoes, to me, look like a more fashionable rendition of the typical astro-trainer (which I think looks quite unique).
    I think these look better with skinny jeans, but some may disagree. Ultimately the trainers give your feet a slim profile, so I think skinny trousers/jeans would make your trainers more obvious, without making it seem that you have small feet.

Just my 2p.

Thanks Ben, appreciated and yep i'm liking the look of those. Will have a skout around.

Sam

Style Icon
    In terms of trainers, you should consider something much simpler and more design-led than those Astros; this won't make trainers any less of an easy option but you'll look far sharper. Check out Converse, Common Projects and certain Adidas styles (I.E. Stan Smiths) for a varied set of examples.

Slim and straight chinos will go with anything just as much as bootcut varieties will. Except cowboy boots perhaps. But they're not particularly fashionable are they? (I give it 10 years.)

Style Icon
    You keep saying how wary you are of wearing chinos, skinny jeans, plim solls and boots. You might have to push yourself out of your comfort zone a bit if you want to really improve your image. That's what this fashion game is all about!

Sam

Style Icon
    It doesn't have to be, Nath; you can still look really sharp in a pair of jeans, trainers and a tee. You just need to be properly groomed and pick the right items, accessorize a little maybe. Just look at James Dean.

Cheers for the input both. Sam, the Stan Smiths you mentioned look alot like the K-swiss I have on today, so you reckon these kinda thing's but plain would be ok and not too chav esque?

Style Icon
    It's been years since I wore trainers but I do quite like K-Swiss. Pair them with some slim-fit indigo jeans?

+ Reply to Thread