FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Christmas Clothing Purchases Advice

Hey guys!This is my first post on the forum despite being both an avid reader of the site and forum. I've really enjoyed all the posts on this board and hope you guys can help me with some advice.

Firstly, let's preface this with the statement that I am a student. Despite this, I am occasionally known to splash out. For Christmas, I usually receive money from my family and friends. Of course the money will be spent on clothes!

I really want a shawl neck chunky cable knit cardigan. I would say my budget is around £110 pound. I have a cream cable knit jumper, so I'm more looking for a navy/brown/dark green one. Could anybody recommend me one? I've seen a few around that I like the look of/styles. Here they are:

French Connection | French Connection Legendary Shawl Collar Knit at ASOS

French Connection | French Connection Cable Knit Cardigan Exclusive to ASOS at ASOS

Barbour | Barbour Moss Shawl Collar Cardigan at ASOS

Franklin & Marshall | Franklin & Marshall Chunky Hooded Cardigan at ASOS

(This one is more than outside of my price tag and I'm not keen on a hood, despite this, I love the colour.)

As well as a cable knit, I also want to get myself some Tweed/Wool trousers. My budget is around a similar prize. I like slim fit trousers, the best I've seen so far are from Topman but I always end up shopping in Topman and wouldn't be averse to purchasing from somewhere else.

Jay

Style Icon
    I really like the French Connection one.

Check the Allsaints site. They have a couple of great chunky knit cardigans at the moment. I just bought one today in fact (the Lander, I think it's called, in fawn).
    Last edited by Jay; 29-11-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the forum mate!

That F&M one is 50% polyamide! That takes the piss at that price. Avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I really like the French Connection one.

Check the Allsaints site. They have a couple of great chunky knot cardigans at the moment. I just bought one today in fact (the Lander, I think it's called, in fawn).
    I was looking at that one the other day but couldn't post a link as the site was down last night (due to the 20% off.) I really liked that one in dark ink although it is not a shawl neck. I'm torn between that and the brown French Connection one.

Just saw this one on Reiss I also like,

REISS Mens Ruben Navy Chunky Long Cardi

I like that one, Look, but I think 50% Acrylic content is too much for a cardi in that price range.

I have no idea about what fabric content is good for what price range haha. Any advice what I should be looking for?

Personally I don't rock knitwear items with any man-made fibres in them. You should be looking at pure wool, or wool blended with sexy yarns like tweed, cashmere and angora.

If an item is a bit cheaper then fine I suppose, but a £100+ cardi should DEFINITELY be made of nice stuff.

I never used to care about these things, until I realised the difference it makes to longevity & comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    Personally I don't rock knitwear items with any man-made fibres in them. You should be looking at pure wool, or wool blended with sexy yarns like tweed, cashmere and angora.

If an item is a bit cheaper then fine I suppose, but a £100+ cardi should DEFINITELY be made of nice stuff.

I never used to care about these things, until I realised the difference it makes to longevity & comfort.
    I'll keep looking around and I totally agree with you. Longevity and comfort is very important. I'm not averse to spending a little more than a £100 if it means it'll last for longer. Thank you for your help.

Sam

Style Icon
    Welcome to the forum pal
    How about this one?
    http://www.reissonline.com/shop/mens/knitwear/cardigans/bruce/navy/

Down to £88 from £110, and 100% Lambswool. Nice colour, full size availability. I quite like it myself, even though it's not massively chunky or cable-knitty. It's a bit more refined, if that doesn't sound pretentious.

+ Reply to Thread