FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Grey Open Knit Cardigan

Hi guys,

First post here, been reading the articles on site for a while though.

I've recently been given this as a gift:

OPEN KNIT CARDIGAN - Knitwear - Collection - Man - ZARA United Kingdom

But struggling to think what to wear it with! Any thoughts?

Thanks

What is your personal style like? I have to say, I quite like the way it's styled in the picture!

I also expect it would look good with some slim indigo jeans, some chocolate brown brogues, and a slim-fitting check shirt.

Sam

Style Icon
    Welcome to the forum
    A checked shirt occurred to me to. Open knit cardigans like that kind of restrict your options. Yours is quite discreet though, which I quite like. Try chinos or jeans for a basic bottom half. Thinking about it, layering an open (I.E. no buttons done up) shirt (checked, corduroy, anything rough like that) between a tee and the cardi would probably look quite cool. Brogues (boot or shoe) on your feet and maybe a nice belt and hey, you're sorted.
    Unless you're dead set on not stretching the sleeves (which would probably return to shape after a wash anyway) I suggest you roll them up - this will compliment the relaxed look of the cardi, and if you have a shirt underneath you can roll the cuffs over the top of the cardi sleeves, which I think looks quite cool.
    With an item like this that more or less demands stripped back styling, accessories could make a big difference - subtle beaded necklaces/bangles/bracelets, a woven belt, and/or a nice casual watch could do you wonders.

Hope that all sounds good to you

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Welcome to the forum
    A checked shirt occurred to me to. Open knit cardigans like that kind of restrict your options. Yours is quite discreet though, which I quite like. Try chinos or jeans for a basic bottom half. Thinking about it, layering an open (I.E. no buttons done up) shirt (checked, corduroy, anything rough like that) between a tee and the cardi would probably look quite cool. Brogues (boot or shoe) on your feet and maybe a nice belt and hey, you're sorted.
    Unless you're dead set on not stretching the sleeves (which would probably return to shape after a wash anyway) I suggest you roll them up - this will compliment the relaxed look of the cardi, and if you have a shirt underneath you can roll the cuffs over the top of the cardi sleeves, which I think looks quite cool.
    With an item like this that more or less demands stripped back styling, accessories could make a big difference - subtle beaded necklaces/bangles/bracelets, a woven belt, and/or a nice casual watch could do you wonders.

Hope that all sounds good to you
    That sounds like a good set of suggestions, Sam. Because it's a casual item, I'd just push the sleeves up rather than roll them (although I'd always use an Italian fold anyway). Yeah, I'm a pedant.

I'm not a fan of the open cardigan, to be honest, but then I'm more about classic tailored looks so tend to wear my cardigans buttoned to create a sleeker line (mostly anyway). This one isn't too bad though as it's quite simple ad unobtrusive.

Sam

Style Icon
    Yeah, I did mean pushed up - I usually just use rolled-up as a catch-all term, even when I'm talking about folding shirt cuffs. Should probably sort that one out!
    Also, in a similar vein, when I said woven belt I really meant a plaited leather sort - got mixed up. Of course a woven type would work too but I have a soft spot for this sort of thing:

But yes - like the cardigan, try an undone shirt, tee, chinos and brogues/brogue boots, and maybe some subtle accessories!

As for open cardigans... if I find a nice one, in a nice colour, with a nice detailed thin cable knit, that suits me, I'll bite. But I haven't yet! This one however is a nice example.

Jay

Style Icon
    I love plaited belts (and I usually say woven too). I have a cheap one that cost £12 or so from Topman which I wear an awful lot. I quite like that it's cheap and gets roughed up and battered easily. It won't last I'm sure, but then for that price it doesn't need to.

Trend Setter
    I really want a dark green plaited belt right now, but can't find any. As to the cardigan, I like what Sam suggested. Pairing it with an undone shirt will draw attention away from the fact that it's open. Make sure this layering doesn't create a bulky/disproportionate silhouette though, try to keep it streamlined

+ Reply to Thread