FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Fashionisto

How Much Is TOO Much?

I love this peacoat.

TAILORED PEACOAT

Yeah, it's a ridiculous price, at $2,295. But what really is the price worth paying for quality, and when does it become over the top for you guys? I know that the high street (much more within my budget) will have similar. But how much are you guys willing to spend on clothes?

FashionBeans Staff
    I can see this one creating a lot of debate! I will always aim to spend more on my clothes, not because I want a more expensive brand but because I want good quality; spend more, get more. When you consider spending a huge amount more money on something just because you want the brand then you have perhaps overstepped the mark, a lot of mid range priced items, such as All Saints knitwear is just as good as the stuff produced by a more expensive brand and it uses the same materials.

I would never spend more than £20 on a T shirt (American Apparel are going to be my go to from now on, so long as the ones I picked up today last me a while), I would quite happily pay between £100 - £150 for knitwear, £50 - £90 for a shirt and so forth, Because I want good quality items for a reasonable price that I can reach within my budget.

However, as my disposable (or not) income increases then those prices may start to rise, but I doubt they will as I find everything I need at my current budget. I would however fork out more for shoes, they are always worth investing money.

I usually don't spend any more than 30 on a tshirt, 60 on a polo, 120 on jeans or 130 on shirts, but coats are a tricky one, it'd have to be something very special for me to spend over the 400 mark. If the item in question is going to be worn frequently for many years, has a timeless style and is going to become a valued and loved piece of your wardrobe then if it is affordable why not get it?

Fashionisto
    My student budget only allows me to spend:

£40 on t-shirts
    £60 on Jeans
    £100 on knitwear
    £200 on coats

Fashionisto
    I would say mine is
    £40 Tees
    £120 Jeans (A good pair of jeans will last you a long time)
    £90 on knitwear
    £500 on coats (unless it's something special, or I just love, such as the above peacoat)
    £150 on shoes (as above with coats)

I actually do not own a single polo, so I can't comment on that one. It really depends on what disposable income I have. I mean, I might be going to MIT next year, so I have to keep money in case I get in. But if I don't go, all them years of paper round savings can go on nice things for me...

Jay

Style Icon

grammar

I don't have a budget for individual items.

I work on the simple principle that too much is when I spend money on clothing and it impacts upon any other aspect my life (my ability to pay bills, have a social life and enjoy a decent standard of living).

Oh, and I won't purchase an item I can't afford to buy within a single working month.

Style Icon
    Sorry, but you'd have to be disgustingly wealthy to justify spending that much on a coat. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but I think it verges on self-indulgent when you spend over a certain amount. Don't want to offend anyone, but someones got to represent the poor, highstreet shopping, student shoppers.

I agree with Nath, I just don't think a jacket can ever be worth that much. My general rule is that if something gets to a certain level of cost, there needs to be some element to justify the cost, usually a combination of originality of design and quality of contruction/material. I have found in the past that very expensive items can be poorple made, Diesel knitwear for example is often 100% synthetic and can cost hundreds.

While the coat posted is 85% wool 15% cashmere, I still don't see how that warrants the exorbitant cost.

Most I have spent on things (but by no means standard)

T shirt : £100
    Polo: £80
    Jeans: £200
    Shoes: £240
    Knitwear: £125
    Jacket: £700
    Belt: £55

Those are all the absolute top of what I would pay and each represent poor decision making on my part.

Fashionisto
    I agree with you guys. I would spend more than the limit I set above, but some things, perhaps. Maybe not the peacoat as above, but something similar, even if it was above my average budget. And hey, I'm a student shopper, and by no means wealthy. I just work to get what I want really.

Huh, wtf? I`d probably never give away more than 15-20 € for a T-shirt; they rarely even cost more in my area. Unless you want Armani or something similar, which I find pretty pointless when it comes to tees.

That being said, I`m all into real shirts anyway. Why waste your money on something you`ll only use as a basic layering item.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last