FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    geo

Trend Setter

Altering Suit To Slim Fit

HI,
    I need to get a suit altered and it is my first time doing so, so need some advice- it's a navy suit, from M&S, supposedly in "slim fit" already, but does not seem that way particularly, especially in trousers. I want a slim fit, but not so skin tight.

;I'm wondering what width suit trousers should be..they are currently around 16 inches circumference (8 inches at front) and also seem a bit wide in the whole of the leg length, not just the opening. Can I get them narrowed to remove excess loose material in leg, so they are a tighter fit, and make them narrower?
    The size of the suit is a 36 Chest, 30 Waist.

Also, I don't want there to be a break in the trouser leg, but sometimes when people wear narrow trousers, they seem to be bunched at the bottom...so do they need to be slightly shorter too?

assume I will need to shorten jacket sleeves slightly..not sure what else can be done to the jacket? Any help, especially relating to the trousers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Trend Setter
    Everything you said is easily done. The trousers can be shortened and narrowed, and the sleeves shortened. The jacket can be taken in at the waist too, for a slimmer fit, but if the shoulders need to be redone, it might be complicated.

Trend Setter
    It sounds like you know what you want. Take it into a tailor and they will pin it and let you see how it will look.

Be careful when making a leg slimmer and shorter. The act of making the leg slimmer will make it shorter as it will likely sit higher on your leg. I found this out recently when tapering legs in a suit.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

geo

Trend Setter
    So do you mean if I get them slimmed/tapered/narrowed down, they will not then need to be shortened also?

They seem a fairly good length already so doubt I will need to shorten them too much...hard to tell until I see the tailor.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    So do you mean if I get them slimmed/tapered/narrowed down, they will not then need to be shortened also?

They seem a fairly good length already so doubt I will need to shorten them too much...hard to tell until I see the tailor.
    As Ross said, tapering them does shorten them a little too, but you may need both depending on how long they are. Basically, take the suit to a good tailor, describe what you wrote in your original post and he'll sort it out for you. He'll pin everything for you and you'll be able to see exactly how it will look before the alterations are done, so do feel confident to be particular with exactly what you want.

+ Reply to Thread