FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Help Wearing a Bow Tie

I'd really like to incorporate Country bow tie Harris Tweed houndstooth wool into a look for a party. Struggling to find a shirt to wear it with. Help?

That's cool!

You could just wear it with a crisp white shirt to make it pop. Or perhaps something with a blue pinstripe & contrast collar to pick out the navy in the check?

I'd keep the rest simple, but if you can locate some mismatched tweed trousers, I think that would be sick. Keep the shirt plain if you do though.

Last NYE I wore a grey chambray bow tie from All Saints with a grey micro-stripe shirt from Junk De Luxe, black trousers and black boots. I got a lot of positive feedback.

Start with the tie around your neck, with one end about one and a half inches longer than the other. Cross the long end over the short end and pull it through the center. Keep this snug against your neck.

Form a single loop with the short end, centering it where the knot will be. Make sure the end of the loop is the widest part, to ensure your bow will have the proper shape.

Bring the long end over the looped short end. Now you can begin to see how the bow will take shape.

Form a loop with the long end, again making sure the end of the loop is the widest part. Push this loop through the knot behind the previous (front) loop.

Tighten the knot by pulling on the loops and adjust the ends carefully. Remember, practice makes perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.sbuckinghams.com/categories/Cufflinks/Sonia-Spencer-Cufflinks/Polished-Steel-Cufflinks/
    Silver cufflinks

lol

It's a clip on

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm sure I made a post on this thread that has since vanished.

/confused

Jay

Style Icon
    Anyway, basically my post said that you need to wear rugged textures with tweed (need is a bit strong, but they do work best), so I would be considering a chambray or a heavy oxford/twill cloth with a lot of texture.

Sam

Style Icon
    I think that more than any other item, bow ties should be worn with care - you should seek to frame them. That's part of why black tie looks so damn good - the bow tie is framed by the jacket lapels, or the waistcoat, or the cummerbund, or if you really feel like stripping off, the bib front on the shirt. If you wear it alone on a plain shirt it can look a bit curious and out of place.
    Also, as the others have said, make sure to compliment the colours and texture.

So, for a good party look, I'd recommend you pair it with a waistcoat like this (navy will bring out the blue in the bowtie) and a (possibly off-) white flannel (or similar) shirt like this. Roll up the sleeves and undo the waistcoat for a rakish look, or leave it done up (although never the bottom button of a waistcoat) for neatness.
    Well, that's my take on things! Obviously Topman isn't the only option - it was just easy to find the right styles.
    Hope that sounds good to you

+ Reply to Thread