FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Nat

Style Icon

Folding Pocket Squares

Calling all pocket square afficionados..... I know there are other pocket square threads, but this one relates particularly to how they should be folded.I am getting more into my pocket squares, following inspiration from the cool cats on the FB forums. One thing I'm not sure about though, is how they should be folded / displayed. I quite like the crisp look of a thin sliver of white square showing with a sharp suit (a la Madmen), but have also read on here that the edges of a pocket square should be displayed (especially if it is Italian silk and hand rolled!! FYI none of mine are!).Are there different ways a pocket square can be folded? Does it depend on the square? On the outfit? On the look you're trying to create?I would appreciate your insight fashionbeaners....

Style Icon
    I personally go for casually stuffed in rather than folded, either with points up or as a 'puff'.

There's certainly lots of different ways to fold them (see here for some examples)

I would say it depends both on the square and the look you're going for; a square with hand-rolled edges or a contrasting trim benefits from the edges showing, for example. I think the square fold works well with a sharp suit, like you said, but for casual wear something a little more unruly looks better.

Jay

Style Icon
    Most folds are terrible and make your look seem terribly dated so beware. I think any fold that has more than one 'point' should be avoided except at a wedding.

I stick with two tried and tested folds:

The square fold: I use this for work and never use any other fold for that purpose. It's clean, sharp and sophisticated. It's the most understated of the folds and doesn't detract from the clean lines of a well fitted suit. There is nothing more stylish than a sharp navy suit, white shirt, navy tie and crisp square folded cotton pocket square.

The puff: just shove it in any old how (either with edges showing or not depending on how those edges look). I use this for casual wear especially when worn against heavier fabrics like tweeds and heavier herringbones, or even stuffed into a chambray or denim shirt pocket.

Either way, I prefer to have a sliver of the square showing. Less is more.

I always use my pocket squares with either a square fold if it's a solid block colour (or what's displayed is)and I want to match it to something else, and a triangle fold or a puff pocket for more eccentric designs. On the topic of pocket squares, what are your opinions on pocket squares with non-outerwear/suits? I have a crew neck tshirt with a pocket and I have a pocket square that would go perfectly with it, at least in my opinion. Are pocket squares only for suits and coats or would i be able to risk it?

Jay

Style Icon
    Personally, I wouldn't wear a pocket square with a t-shirt; the gap between formal (the square) and informal (the t-shirt) is too great and the result is likely to look odd and mismatched. I'd wear one tucked into a casual shirt pocket though.

Trend Setter
    I was going to link the exact same website as BSB, but surprisingly I didn't have to.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    I was going to link the exact same website as BSB, but surprisingly I didn't have to.
    Great minds think alike

Nat

Style Icon
    Chaps, thanks for the advice and links - I feel much better informed now

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Murray View Post
    I always use my pocket squares with either a square fold if it's a solid block colour (or what's displayed is)and I want to match it to something else, and a triangle fold or a puff pocket for more eccentric designs. On the topic of pocket squares, what are your opinions on pocket squares with non-outerwear/suits? I have a crew neck tshirt with a pocket and I have a pocket square that would go perfectly with it, at least in my opinion. Are pocket squares only for suits and coats or would i be able to risk it?
    I think it could look great with a t-shirt, depending on the rest of the outfit.

And as Jay says, a casual shirt pocket is a great place for a square, as is any chest pocket on any type of jacket, imo.

I've been wearing my Vivienne Westwood jacket with pocket squares since I got it

At the moment I have a burgundy polkadot pocket square from Reiss in the pocket, it really sets it off tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I think it could look great with a t-shirt, depending on the rest of the outfit.

And as Jay says, a casual shirt pocket is a great place for a square, as is any chest pocket on any type of jacket, imo.

I've been wearing my Vivienne Westwood jacket with pocket squares since I got it

At the moment I have a burgundy polkadot pocket square from Reiss in the pocket, it really sets it off tbh
    It was a more casual outfit, with a cardigan for an outer layer instead of a blazer, so as Jay said the formalness of the pocket square would probably not mix too well with it. I might just have to try it in a jacket pocket though!

+ Reply to Thread