FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Style Icon

Tucked In Jumpers?

I'm not sure if this may seem strange to some, but I've recently noticed that jumpers are beginning to be tucked into trousers/jeans/chinos. With the recent 50's trend, I've seen many people choosing to tuck in their shirts, but now I've begun to see jumpers themselves being tucked in.

Any thoughts on this? Is this just a trend (if it has even reached that status) that is sure to be short-lived (much like the current camo trend: I give it a season at most, if it carries on looking this awful)? Or is set to be the next big thing? And have I, perhaps, just been misleading myself?... or even stumbled onto something?!

Sam

Style Icon
    Never ever tuck a chunky knit or a polo neck.
    Everything else is more or less fair game, I believe, but to be honest the furthest I ever go is lazily tucking in one half, preppy style.

Fashionisto
    I haven't noticed it myself. I've rarely seen it done, and even then, only smarter looks with a thin jumper where the belt was displayed.

Trend Setter
    I think it was Boethius who said, 'BLEUGGGGH'...
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Style Icon
    Exactly my reaction, Olly. However, on checking out the Reiss lookbook, this can actually work quite well with the right items. Observe:

Polos, Sam?

Sam

Style Icon
    Polo necks, not polo shirts; you know, roll necks. Polo shirts can look alright with a tuck - or a half tuck.
    Roll necks, though, I think look pretty poor tucked in.

Style Icon
    Yes, you're quite right! Silly skim reading by me.

Sam, what is this half tuck you talk about? I don't think it's something I've ever really noticed...

Jay

Style Icon
    It's tucking in one side of your shirt and leaving the other half hanging out. It's a silly way of dressing that David Beckham copycats sport with the misguided notion it somehow looks good.

Style Icon
    So basically the: 'I just stuck my hand down my trousers to have a fiddle, and couldn't be bothered to sort myself out' look?

Sam

Style Icon
    Exactly.
    Well, I'd never do it with a shirt, but with the right polo shirt it looks just about stupid enough to work.

+ Reply to Thread