FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Silhouettes: Chunky Knitwear with Skinny Jeans

Hi FB man dem

My Sis bought me this jumper for my bday

I love it, but I am having a bit of trouble. I wear skinny jeans - about as skinny as you can get - and I don't feel 100% confident about the silhouette this creates. I find I can balance it somewhat with chunky boots; do you think this is sufficient? What advice do you have with regards to silhouettes and my particular conundrum? What should I be wearing with this magnificent jumper?

I have found in the past that a massive cardigan and skinny jeans is all good, so I thought the jumper would be the same. But now I think that wearing the cardigan open reveals the slim frame underneath, thus negating the issue with silhouettes. What can I do with the jumper to achieve the right effect?

Thanks in advance x
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 02-12-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Fashionisto
    I wear chunky cardigans, and skinnies most of the time too! I find that my black military/engineer boots make the silhouette somewhat better. I would say, yes it is sufficient - but one question - just how skinny are you?

Jay

Style Icon
    Hey, I'm as skinny as they come and manage to pull this kind of look off (I think).

The thing I try and ensure is that my chunky knits are quite fitted, which doesn't bulk out the silhouette too much. Other than that, there's not much else you can do.

I'm not mega skinny, but it's such a chunky knit that it does bulk me out quite a lot. It seems to be stretching a fair bit too- going to need to wash it soon to bring it back into line!

I'm totally OK with the cardigan/skinnies combo as when it's undone, it doesn't make you look bulky. It's not the same with a jumper though. It's such a nice, snug jumper though. I love it regardless!

Nice jumper. The detailing on the front seems to add to the bulk of the look though.

I'd suggest wearing with slim fit rather than skinny jeans to keep a more flattering silhouette with skinnies creating just to much of a contrast between top and bottom. You could also try softening the contrast by wearing a shirt underneath that shows around the waist - depending on the length of the jumper (it looks long in the pic butdepends on your height).

I have the same issue with a cream reiss jumper i bought in summer sale - it was only a large but is massive on me.

Yeah it is just a very bulky jumper

I'm thinking about wasking it to get its original shape back, but it is dry clean only. I'm thinking if I just get it damp and re-shape it a bit that might work? Anyone have experience of this?

Ash

Just hand wash it.

Tepid water in the sink, small amount of washing powder, quick swill through after. Reshape, dry flat.

Harsh chemicals used in dry-cleaning can ruin a nice garment.

+ Reply to Thread