FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Wearing Socks Ideas

Hello All

I am having problems trying to find good socks to wear with my pants. I bet I'm not the only one with some insecurities in this area :P

I am aware of the basic socks rules for formal wear, however it is not clear to me how this should be approached when dressing down a suit or when wearing chinos or jeans.

It would be great if we can use this thread to discuss some ideas about wearing socks, or even not wearing socks at all :P

Looking forward to your comments

Jay

Style Icon
    There are sock rules for formal wear?

What i try to say is that some people say you should try to find socks that match your pants color, basically same color or same color but in a darker tone

Well, at least thats the conservative rule i know.

i would really appreciate any input from you guys

Jay

Style Icon
    The first rule sock club: don't talk about sock club.

The second rule of sock club: there are no rules.

Wear whatever you like basically.

Today I had on a navy suit with a blue gingham shirt, a blue tie and reddish brown brogues and wore purple and cream striped socks. These, in fact:

Trend Setter
    I think I buy more socks than any other piece of clothing. As Jays, rules don't really apply, wear whatever you fancy. Right now i'm wearing a camo pair I just bought.

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm wearing white and beige xmas socks from Topshop (not topman) that have reindeer faces made out of felt shapes on the toes. if i'm wearing them (admittedly I'm not leaving the house) then I am surely the only one of us committing very warm and cosy sock based treason. Wear whatever the hell you want.

Sam

Style Icon
    I happen to think that bold socks are a shared vice of many forumers - your rule is a very solid rule, and the length it adds to your legs is very flattering. All of that said, there's nothing hard and fast to suggest a wild sock can't work so in a more casual look this could be the way to go. I'd recommend a nice subtle argyle as the perfect casual sock - something like this:

(£35 for a sock is, of course, very silly though)

Jay

Style Icon
    These Ted Baker socks are great for this AW:

I really like the Falke Nordic sock too:

Trend Setter
    I wear mine like James Bond. Wool mix (not cotton), in charcoal grey (source: Devil May Care, 2008, admittedly written by Sebastian Faulks). When I'm feeling wild I go for dark brown or slightly lighter with tan shoes.

I was wearing flourescent pink ones yesterday with olive cords and beige boots. You could only see them when my legs were bent or I was sat down, but the flash of colour really added something imo

Today I have some navy nordic pattern ones with white trainers and grey jeans turned up to show them, then a white tee and a navy cardi. Super co-ordinated.

+ Reply to Thread