FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

New Suit

Looking to buy a new suit for an event I've been invited to, I'm a student so my budget's a little tight (up to £150). I'm looking for a grey suit jacket/trousers and have been looking at some online at Asos, Burton, River Island and Next.

Just wondering if you guys have any advice on the quality of suits from each of these stores and if you've had good or bad experiences with their suits? Also if you know other retailers that'll do a good suit to this price?

Sam

Style Icon
    At this price, you don't have many options - and you'd best use your own best judgement.

Go out, try a few on, and check the care labels. Get the suit that's the best fit at the shoulders, with the largest percentage of wool - or at least natural fibres - you can find. If it's good about the shoulders but severely lacking in one or two other areas a good tailor should be able to sort that out for a reasonable fee.

Jay

Style Icon
    The correct answer is go to Marks & Spencer. They have a great range of suits (many 100% or very close to wool) clocking in at between £130 and £150.

Sam

Style Icon
    But you still need to try it on, or at least return it if it doesn't fit.

Fit fit fit fit fit fit fit fit. Nothing is more important.

Trend Setter
    You wont have too much choice for that price. Asos slim fit suits are a decent fit but the quality of the fabric isnt always the best. M&S do a slim fit/tailored style which is decent.

Perhaps try house of fraser online. They have a clearance section with a decent amount of designer brand suits with around 50% off.

Fashionisto
    Cheers, I've been looking and it seems I might have to raise my budget a bit, there's a couple I liked in M&S, so I'm going to try some out tomorrow. The House of Fraser clearance was a good shout, unfortunately they didn't have the one I liked in size.

Trend Setter
    Id go to slaters, service is top notch, and they should be able to sort you out rather than getting some cheap river island number or alike.

Tom

Trend Setter
    Tk Maxx & a trip to the tailors could be a good shout.

Fashionisto
    Went to M&S today and tried a couple of suits on, turns out I'm a 36 (whereas my previous suit from Burton was a 38) but then again sizes do change with different companies. Anyway there were only a few suits in M&S that sized 36, I had a look around Next but they didn't seem to display the material the suits were made from. I checked out Slaters and found this, wondering on your thoughts, pay £20 over my budget for a 3 piece suit that's 80% wool, it seems like a good deal but I haven't had previous experience with Lambretta...

Lambretta "81208" Three Piece Suit - Suits - Formal - Menswear | Slaters

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Tk Maxx & a trip to the tailors could be a good shout.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by andydonaldson6 View Post
    Went to M&S today and tried a couple of suits on, turns out I'm a 36 (whereas my previous suit from Burton was a 38) but then again sizes do change with different companies. Anyway there were only a few suits in M&S that sized 36, I had a look around Next but they didn't seem to display the material the suits were made from. I checked out Slaters and found this, wondering on your thoughts, pay £20 over my budget for a 3 piece suit that's 80% wool, it seems like a good deal but I haven't had previous experience with Lambretta...

Lambretta "81208" Three Piece Suit - Suits - Formal - Menswear | Slaters
    If you like the fit that's good for the price

I've had a couple of Asos suits that I've been really happy with.

+ Reply to Thread