FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Altering Jeans/Trousers

Hi all, longtime reader, first time caller.

Just wondered if anyone has experience getting jeans or trousers altered by a tailor. I basically feel that unless I get lucky there's a good chance you end up with billowy or scrunchy legs on pairs of jeans.

It ends up making me favour skinnier jeans when actually I don't mind a slim fit if it wasn't even more billowy at the leg.

I've never got jeans tailored before and so I'm curious, am I best to ask a tailor to taper them? Should I have him measure my lower leg and explain I basically want it tight to that?

Any advice would be really great,

Thanks,

Ronan

Nat

Style Icon
    I just got 2 pairs of trousers back from the tailors yesterday actually. Same issue as you - just wanted them tapered / slimmed down as they were too billowing for my legs. They look good, though I actually wish I had been a bit braver and gone slimmer again.

Never done it with jeans though. Unless it's some strange "twisted" fit or something, I don't see there being a problem.

Best thing to do though is to find a brand of slim jeans (rather than skinny) which you are happy with. I started a thread on here a couple of months ago on just that issue and got some good advice. Have a search.

FashionBeans Staff
    Any tailor will be able to alter your jeans, just pop into your chosen one and ask him to taper the leg, he will pin it to how you want it. It should be nice and simple and won't cost much either.

Trend Setter
    I've done a couple of pairs myself with a standard sewing machine. Turned them inside out, chalked a line on the inside of the leg how I wanted it and sewed up. Easy.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

I've had many pairs of jeans made skinny by a tailor; it's the best way to get a perfect fit. I usually drop the jeans to be tailored in along with a pair of jeans I like, and ask them to make the baggy ones like the skinny ones.

Trend Setter
    Would anyone mind giving an idea of cost for this sort of work?

Also can any jeans be brought in to being skinny or do they need to start fairly close to the desired size?

+ Reply to Thread