FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Tailor Made Suit

I am seriously considering getting a tailor made suit. But from those forum members who have in the past is it worth the extra cash?

I have major trouble getting a suit that fits me correctly due to being a bit of a gym junkie so I am hoping this can be the solution.

Colour wise what should I go for? I have a few navy suits, charcoal and light grey so I was thinking taupe.

Also are there additional detailing I should be requesting? Obviously lapel size, number of buttons on sleeve and down centre, lining, but is there anything else I should be looking at to set this suit apart from your regular suit?

Style Icon
    Have you considered getting a double breasted suit? They really do look awesome.

Nat

Style Icon
    I would love one but have never had the cash!If you're having trouble getting that perfect fit, have you ever tried getting an off the peg suit altered, rather than getting one bespoke?Also, if I was going to spend all that cash, I would get one in the most classic colour possible - either grey or navy, as it's a real investment piece, but that's just my opinion.Oh, and do the right thing - go all out with a three piece!

I agree with Nat, the suit should be an all-out classic that will last forever.

On top of the details you have already mentioned, you should be looking for double-vented (that's the split/flap detail at the bottom of the back), and simple details like coloured stitching on buttons / lapel buttonhole can really add individuality whilst maintaiing a classic aesthetic. Also consider Elbow Patches, hunting-style shoulder patches, those collar flap things that come off the lapels (no idea what they are called!), coloured felt under the collar, extra stitching details, extra pockets and so on if you want something really individual.

I'd advise taking a good look online at suits you like, to ensure you know exactly what floats your boat.

Oh, and colourwise, how about a really dark coffee brown? Classic, but different, and practical.

Here's a few photos of one of my favourite and most flamboyant designers, Holland Esquire. Should provide plenty of inspiration:

Trend Setter
    Ben - I thought about the double breasted but I think I will go single breasted, I believe it is more versatile.

Nat - yes three piece all the way! After thinking about it last night I think made to measure might be my best bet, it isn't as expensive all full on bespoke but should give an excellent fit compared to off the peg plus the quality of bespoke totally depends on the tailor.

I don't think I will do off the peg and then tailor it because the suit still won't have been made for your measurements so a tailor might not have much to work with, while it will give a decent fit it won't give an excellent fit, IMO.

I think you are right about the colour. Taupe is a bit seasonal, I would quite like a Birdseye design fabric in grey or and blueish navy, not the traditional navy.

Trend Setter
    Thanks Pin Money, food for thought there.

I like the contrast colour on the button hole on the lapel and match that colour threading to the thread on the sleeve buttons.

I will go an extra pocket on the jacket also. I hadn't thought about the fabric under the collar. I'm getting quite excited there are so many details that can be added to put an individual stamp on the suit.

I love elbow patches but I have a few blazers with elbow patches so I mIght skip that unless I opt to go more for a hunting style design.

Yeah, some of the details are a bit of a step too far for a suit, I did think that having elbow patches in the same fabric as the suit might be cool though, or in a colour that doesn't contrast that much.

Trend Setter
    Nice picks Pin's! I love Holland Esquire blazers... I own a lovely tweed one that gets lots of attention.

I have a tweed one too, grey with blue details

+ Reply to Thread