FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Tweed Jacket: New vs Vintage?

What are the arguments for and against buying a vintage tweed jacket over a new one? I've wanted a tweed jacket for ages, but am on a budget, and have never been able to bring myself to part with the cash for a Topman or Burton one, even the 100% wool Harris Tweed ones. I occasionally see interesting, unique vintage ones though, and have been very tempted! What should I take consideration, other than condition obviously. I'm thinking lapel width and suchlike.

Fashionisto
    Fit.

Skinny fit tweed blazers are in fashion. Vintage ones will likely be standard fit. Not a problem as such, just bare in mind vintage tweed jackets are more 'old man' than the new slim/skinny fit ones. The question is though, how much use are you actually likely to get out of one now? Tweed is a very warm fabric - winter wear.

I don't follow the fashion shows. Anyone know if Tweed is on for AW12?

Style Icon
    However, waist-wise a tailor can easily slim a blazer down, so I wouldn't worry too much about fit. Sleeves may be more of a problem, but will probably be fine as they are.

Trend Setter
    Yes, fit could be a problem, but I guess it will depend. Not planning to wear it in the summer, and I am supposed to be stopping buying winter clothes really. Trying not to worry too much about it going out of fashion, as i'm the wrong side of 30 and therefore trying not to follow fashion too slavishly. It just so happens that lots of the sort of things that I like are in fashion at the moment (heritage and ivy looks etc), which makes getting hold of them easier, but also runs the risk of them looking old hat next winter. But I am hoping it depends on how you wear it? To be honest I've not noticed so many people wearing things like this where I live anyway. Still far too many cuffed and drop crotch chinos, sportswear etc.

But what do others think? Particularly those of you that have invested large sums of money in tweed this year?

Trend Setter
    With a fabric that has such a rich history, trend shouldn't really be considered. It just so happens that last season (and the 4 or so before) that the heritage look has been a staple on the high street. That being said, essential pieces from that look are a staple in many a man's wardrobe. A piece that fits you well and worn with the right things will ALWAYS look great.

Also, bear in mind that not all tweeds are heavy. I have seen lighter weaves that would work well into spring.

I've always bought vintage. I have quite a large collection of tweed and as you say, I refuse to buy Topman or Burton even if it is Harris or Donegal etc. My last tweed purchase was a herringbone Harris tweed blazer by Jaegar. It cost me £17...
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Simple - I got a vintage one (from my dad of all people) and had it tailored for £30.

Simple and unique. If you go to JW or Topman for a tweed jacket you're a wrong'un

Trend Setter
    I had my grandfather's tailored for £5.

+ Reply to Thread