FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

The Rules Of Black And Navy

Hi I'm just getting dressed for the morning. I know that black and blue is generally meant to be a NO and generally I stick to this rule.
    However, alot of my Allsaints gear (especially the knitwear) is that "dark ink" colour, such a deep navy that its almost black. I want to pair it with my new black pea coat I nabbed off eBay. At the moment I'm wearing:

White button-oxford (allsaints)
    V-neck jumper in "dark ink" (allsaints)
    Navy chinos (Topman)
    Black Peacoat (Allsaints)
    Brogues boots

I know it shouldn't work but I think it looks okay. Can you mix black with a very deep navy?

Nat

Style Icon
    If the chinos are navy then the question is moot no? I mean won't the pea coat clash with the trousers, even if it doesn't clash with the jumper?

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If the chinos are navy then the question is moot no? I mean won't the pea coat clash with the trousers, even if it doesn't clash with the jumper?
    This is something I've thought about alot as well. But I don't think that the two colours clash when the blue is on the bottom half and balanced out by brown belt and shoes. It's like jeans, you wouldn't notice blue jeans clashing with a black jacket.

Maybe I should get undressed and start again. Or put some burgandy chinos on or something

That ink colour is fine to wear with black

Personally, I think this combination is fine for all but the most formal occasions. Even then, it can be done...

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    That ink colour is fine to wear with black

Personally, I think this combination is fine for all but the most formal occasions. Even then, it can be done...
    Thanks Pins, I thought one of you Allsaints whores would know the colour I'm talking about.

I've changed my chinos, but the jumper works fine. If anything, the jacket sets the look off.

And no, I wouldn't dare pairing those colours for formal occasions. But even then, I still see people wearing black shoes.

My Mum always said not to wear black and navy together. But I started doing it about a year ago after a dying incident which made one of my favourite jacket black and navy... since then I've gone with it and had to put up with people telling me its wrong!
    Http://www.netclothing.net

Jay

Style Icon
    I think Pins is right in that navy and black is doable except in formal situations. However, the addition of brown into the outfit sounds too much. Black and navy, and black and brown are both awkward colour combinations and trying them both together in the same outfit is risky.

Trend Setter
    Loving blue and black atm, only in casual situations though. Can really work imo.

Style Icon
    I definitely agree. I've never seen the issue with black and navy TBH. Maybe I just pull it off so fucking well (jk)

+ Reply to Thread