FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Fashion Epiphany

I think o have turned a corner with my personal style recently and I would attribute some of that to the wisdom I have picked up on this site and its forums.

I have for as long as I can remember been style aware but frustrated that I was never able to truly unlock my own potential and emulate some if the looks I admire and aspire to.

I have always been able to pick very nice individual pieces but where I fell down was how I put them together. I used to be pissed that I would have all the components but never somehow managed to get it to look like the pictures I see of other style savvy people.

So really the key thing for me was realising how to mix colours and textures and most importantly how to embrace layerinng for some truly next level looks. I think my eye is being trained into what to look for in a good outfit or combination of pieces.

I also used to think that you could only look cool if you were bone thin, but I realised that you can create flattering slim silhouettes without being like a twig.

So has anyone else had any epiphanies or bits of fashion wisdom when it comes to.the creation of outfits?

Jay

Style Icon
    Style rule #1

The haircut is everything.

Jay

Style Icon
    Style rule #2

Spend money on good shoes.

Style Icon
    I agree with both of Jays points. If I haven't had my hair cut in a while and I look like a tramp, I can't bring myself to dress up smart because it ruins the look. And a good pair of shoes makes a MASSIVE difference. Every Tom, dick and harry around here wears chinos and an oxford shirt, but they always let the look down by wearing a scrappy pair of trainers or plimsolls. A grown-up, quality pair of shoes immediately set a look off.

For me it would be the importance of minimalism. I've sold most of my fairisle knits and opted for plainer designs when it comes to shirts, knits and tees. It just makes it easier to put everything together.

A cohesive style is important. As someone who wears a lot of different styles, I have recently realised that this is something important that can be hard to pin down. For EG if you are wearing a distressed leather jacket, you can't then wear smart shoes with it, or if wearing a smart cable knit, messed up boots won't do.

+ Reply to Thread