+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Weird British Fashion Terms

Vest = Waistcoat
    Suspenders = Braces
    Derbies = Bowler hats
    Bombers = Harrington Jackets
    Wife beaters = Rib Vests

I have adopted your odd terms and they get me in trouble because I forget nobody here has a clue what I am talking about!

Jay

Style Icon
    "We gave you a perfectly good language and you fucked up."

Stephen Fry

"Two nations divided by a common language"

George Bernard Shaw

P.S: I've never heard a Wifebeater called a Rib Vest; my Grandmother referred to them a Singlets. Also, Bomber Jackets and Harringtons; two different things. I hope this helps with your risible affectations.

Trend Setter
    That language you call 'English', the clue to its source is in the name.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Trend Setter
    People here don't have the word harrington, so a bomber fills in for two jackets often enough. As for rib vests, it is not a term I actually use, but Topman's website does. Waistcoat is the word that makes most sense to me, I almost never call it a vest, and people think that is very odd.

Fashionisto
    Topmans website call a ribbed vest a wifebeater? That needs a link if you've got one. Brilliant.

Only wifebeater term I know is a pint of Stella.
    Mark J Winter

Trend Setter
    'Weird British Fashion Terms'...

PAH!
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by markjwinter86 View Post
    Topmans website call a ribbed vest a wifebeater? That needs a link if you've got one. Brilliant.

Only wifebeater term I know is a pint of Stella.
    I think the first terms are meant to be American English. And yes, never understood why myself, but my dad calls a pint of Stella a wife-beater too. Seems a little more specific than anyone who wears a rib vest, but I can imagine that association too.

I'm particularly irked by the term "Rib Vest" I don't even know why. But I do use bowler hats and waistcoats. So I guess my feelings for this topic is half and half.

Harringtons are nothing like bombers. The Harrington took it's name from the guy in Peyton Place, a 60's American programme. The guy who owre it was called something Harrington (can't remember his first name). The jacket was slightly different in that it didn't have an elasticated bottom edge, more like a golfing jacket I think. Harringtons became a 60's Mod jacket in the UK then went on to be worn by Skinheads.

Bombers are more like American flying jackets, some with fur like collars, some are leather others a kind of silky material. Nothing like Harringtons. What was that guys first name ?????

+ Reply to Thread