FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    njg

Topman Suits vs The Rest

I'm buying a new navy or grey suit on a budget but due to my slight figure I'm very limited in what I can get.

I've ordered the Navy Pindot Topman Skinny Suit for £150 for the jacket and trousers. It's a perfect fit, great colour but... £150 on a Topman suit seems a lot more than it's worth.

Moss didn't really come up with anything under £200. Next and Debenham's were disappointments though I did find a nice Ben Sherman King Slim Suit in blue that was pretty tight fitting for about £160+trouser alteration.

GQ seems to like Topman as a brand but how does it stack up against the rest in the price-range for suits?

It's not the money, it's knowing I've got the best for my money.

I've had a few suits from Burton's before and I've quite liked them, they do have a slim-fit section if that's what you are looking for. As for Topman, I've only bought one suit and only cost me £75 so I guess I got a bargain at the time but rarely worn it as I prefer the other suits I have.

It might be worthwhile having a look in Burton as the ones in my area are having a clear out of suits and you may be able to catch a bargain, and I did notice some navy suits on offer.

Jay

Style Icon
    Topman suits are a crock of shit. Cheap nasty materials badly constructed.

Good old M&S have a slim fitting suits made fro 100% wool at £150 a pop.

From what you are saying, I think an Asos skinny suit would fit you well. They usually have some in the sale, particularly if you are very small/large sized (damn my average frame), and many have nice natural fibres within them

njg

I looked in M&S and found anything other than their top range suits quite shapeless and very drab. Was very disappointed. Dabbled but haven't like the quality of Asos's own brand stuff.

Have Topman not come up in the world especially with their suits? Is a brand like Ben Sherman really superior? Is the only Topman item worth owning their chinos??
    Last edited by njg; 26-03-2012 at 03:25 PM.

FashionBeans Staff
    Go to M&S and get it tailored, I believe they alter things in store? This might just be me dredging things up from the depths of my mind though. Even so, by from M&S and tailor, you'll have a much better quality suit.

Trend Setter
    I think this is the Suit that jay is referring to:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Limit...P_2_FRO_T_MSF_

I couldn't find it in my local store, so chances are your's may not stock it either.

I would go for this over anything from Topman.

njg

Topman lists the suit as 53% wool and 47% polyester and I don't think they mean the 47% being the lining...

It's a shame as it's a really nice suit but £150 for that seems a little stupid.

Then again Moss have French Connection suits that are only 70% wool...
    Last edited by njg; 26-03-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Jay

Style Icon
    What were you expecting for £150? That's nothing for a suit. The going rate for a wool suit is £300+ for a cheap one, so most suits under that price are going to be chock full of man made fibres. You get some occasional genuine bargains (The M&S one - linked above), but at £150 you are going to have to accept you are getting an inferior quality suit.

Style Icon
    Someone thought my M&S one was a French Connection suit (he owned a French Connection) and on inspection, mine had more wool that his!

But seriously, you as the buyer will know if you're happy. At the end of the day, unless you're a suit nerd (or unless you buy a really horrible suit) most people will not know a French Connection from a Topman if the fit is right. Go with your heart and wear it with confidence.

+ Reply to Thread