FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... Last

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by naturals View Post
    Hi all, first post but I've been lurking for a while. Thanks for all the tips posted previously - I've learnt a lot from them.

Anyway, trying to work out a smart / casual outfit.

I found this blazer in Topman which I really like:

And I already have a set of nice Carhartt 'Sid' trousers:

I'm just trying to figure out what shirt and shoes I should wear with it. I'm currently thinking of these shoes:

Along with a simple blue Oxford shirt I've spotted in Gap. I'm a little concerned about brown shoes and shirt with navy trousers and a blue shirt though. Does this work or am I going to look like a right plank? Thanks in advance!

[BTW, very new to this whole 'putting effort into clothing' thing, in case you hadn't already guessed!]
    I have that blazer. I wear it with either a light blue oxford, white allsaints oxford, burgundy chinos and brogue boots. Could throw some knitwear in if you like.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Naturals - that's a smashing outfit you have already.
    You could try a tee or a knit too so don't rule that out.
    An earthy, beigish polo neck would be a really cool choice - I'd recommend a finer, merino type knit under corduroy.
    In terms of plain old shirts, you're right that oxfords are a good choice. You might consider flannel or chambray too, those would be good choices texture wise. Earth tones will work, as will pale blues and every man's standby whites and pinks (every man should own a perfect pink shirt).
    Shoe wise... something with a heritage influence would work. Brogue (boots), derbies, and chelsea boots could all set it off perfectly, and you're right that brown is a good choice - it pairs great with blue too.
    Awesome! Thanks for taking thetime to reply!

Trend Setter
    I have the trousers to this suit, but unfortunately not the jacket. I was going to wait to buy it if it went on sale, and now it is out of stock in m size!

Am imagining wearing it with brogues and a pale blue oxford shirt. But would welcome suggestions for what to wear it with for a more causal look, so I can get more wear out of them. Thanks!

Brown Heritage Tweed Slim Fit Suit * - Mens Slim Fit Suits - Suits - Burton

Sam

Style Icon
    Those'd be lovely with muted autumnal tones - reds, tobaccos, navies and purples in particular. Go for nice, rich colours - they'll work great with that pale brown.
    A jumper over a T shirt, whether the tee is visible or not, would be a great way to dress them down without them looking out of place. A V or shawl neck would work well.
    In terms of shoes, how about chelsea boots? They're a good shoe and among the few that bridge the smart/casual divide. Failing that, your brogues will work just as well here - if they're a boot then all the better. If you go for brogues, why not soften the formality a bit with a vibrant sock?
    If you want to throw a jacket over this look, I'd opt for a peacoat or overcoat - but most things would work as long as you get the colours right.

Happy trouser wearing!

Hi all, it's my first post on this forum. I've bought these shoes http://www.boxfresh.co.uk/wcsstore/B...=400&width=400 and I'm wondering what kind and colour of pants/jeans should I wear with them.

Have a nice evening !

First post!

Need an outfit for a formal-ish occasion. So far:
    http://media.topman.com/wcsstore/TopMan/images/catalog/88A14DGRN_large.jpg
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Autog...id=1328376032# (navy)

I don't want to get anything 'wrong' to give a bad first impression of myself, so I'd really appreciate some help with the rest...

Trend Setter
    What's the occassion? Would a suit be too formal? Tell us a bit more so we can help you.

And welcome to the forum!

yeah, a suit would be too formal; it's closer to smart-casual than anything else [the invitation was pretty vague.]

..and thank you!

Sam

Style Icon
    Howdy all.

@Mmmario: Pretty much anything short of suit trousers mate! I have a thing for brown leather trainers (perhaps meaning I should buy some) because they're a great, youthful casual item. They also go with almost any trousers, being brown leather; brown and blue go beautifully, so blue jeans might be a good call, and more casual chinos (think Allsaints) would be a good move too. Make sure you get the fit of the trousers right and you're good to go; pairing the trainers with a near-matching brown belt would make you look a bit more put together as well.
    One caveat: no black jeans or chinos. Black/brown is a divisive issue on the forums; I personally come down very much on the side of "don't do it". It's your call, but to this man it just doesn't make aesthetic sense.

@Taylor: I like the corduroy blazer. How about a coloured oxford shirt? If you don't know what an oxford is, by the way, it's a specific weave used on certain casual shirts, and it's a lovely texture for anything up to and including smart-casual looks. Pink would be a smashing colour (and the right shade is pretty much universally flattering), as would pale yellow and pale blue. Equally, you could opt for a white shirt; it's a safe choice in most situations. Go for a shirt with a smaller collar to match the slim tie and jacket lapels. A button-down collar would be a nice touch, too.

If you go for one of the coloured shirts, play it safe with chinos or thick woollen trousers in a neutral shade like stone, tobacco, or khaki. Monochromes would be an equally good option, although steer clear of white if the weather is anything less than lovely, and don't match the shade of your jacket unless you go for the wool trousers, in which case the difference in textures might be just enough to get away with it, as long as it's a less than exact match.

If you go for the white shirt you have more options; trousers in muted but unexpected colours like burgundy or a dark, burnt orange would work well here too, although you won't be likely to find many smarter varieties of these so expect them to be chinos.

In terms of shoes and belts, opt for a smart-casual shoe. Your options are quite expansive; a couple of options are brogues (boot or shoe), loafers (penny or tassel), dress shoes (oxford or derby), and Chelsea boots (only to be worn with slim or skinny trousers). If you go for black trousers your shoes and belt (and indeed watch strap) should be black. No exceptions. If not, black normally remains an option (it doesn't pair well with navy but suits most other things) but a brown, oxblood or tan might be a better choice.

Your options are massive - but that should help steer you in the direction.

Hope that helped guys

i'm looking into buying a white oxford shirt right now.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... Last