FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 ... Last

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by vincebowdren View Post

the contrast between the formal lines of a blazer and the informality of a collarless t-shirt made it an awkward look -
    • The kind of jeans which might work well would have to be consistently coloured (grey, indigo, black) and with clean lines: straight cut, tapered or slim (but not skinny).
    Seriously? No tees or skinnys with a blazer? Fuckin' hell. What a boring life that would be.

Trend Setter
    IKR. 'Clean lines'. The amount of tapered and straight trousers/jeans we've seen which are the opposite of 'clean lines' could fill every arm on this forum. The only reason to reject skinnies, to me, is a dislike of the whole concept - which is totally fair, but is far more subjective sounding than 'skinny jeans do not give 'clean lines' but tapered and straight do, so go for them, they're better with a smart-casual look' (sorry for paraphrasing here, but you get my point).

Style Icon
    I love tapered skinny as they follow the natural leg shape. Topman chinos for example are skinny but the calf area isn't very well tapered so you have a tight fitting thigh and then the bottoms look too baggy round the shoe! There are so many variants of skinny out there. Not a fan of spray on skinny though, looks too emo for me.

I've got a mate at work who the girls drool over - with one exception. Pretty much every single one of them rips into his casual wardrobe style, as he wears these ridiculously dated bootcut jeans which are bordering on bell bottoms. It's like walking into Firetrap or Diesel in the year 1996.

Trend Setter
    I recently bought this Reiss blazer from eBay (despite promising myself no more impulse buys!):

I thought it would be great for a summer party I am going to. On arrival, however, my partner, suggested it was disgusting and reminded her of golfers! Admittedly she and I do often disagree on clothes, but I am now wondering if this is in fact hot or not? I don;t want to spend 30 getting the sleeves shortened (working button holes) if I am not going to wear it. Any thoughts, or suggestions of what to wear it with? I was thinking navy chinos and a white shirt. Thanks.

I like it

White shirt, pink pocket square, some neutral chinos and black loafers spring to mind for me

And a good pair of shades

Nat

Style Icon
    It's really nice. It's a bit of a statement though, so I would personally keep the rest of the outfit fairly neutral, as suggested. And if it's a summer party, then this definitely screams out for loafers. Suede if you've got them.

Trend Setter
    thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have some brown suede Loake Eton loafers. Pink pocket square is a good call!

In terms of white shirts, it has recently occured to me that I do not own the "perfect" white shirt. I have white oxford shirts, which I wear a lot. I also have the sort of white poplin shirts you wear with a suit. Any suggestions for a shirt that is somewhere between the two? I'm thinking more structured/formal than an oxformd, but less so than a standard white suiting shirt. Does that make any sense?

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have some brown suede Loake Eton loafers. Pink pocket square is a good call!

In terms of white shirts, it has recently occured to me that I do not own the "perfect" white shirt. I have white oxford shirts, which I wear a lot. I also have the sort of white poplin shirts you wear with a suit. Any suggestions for a shirt that is somewhere between the two? I'm thinking more structured/formal than an oxformd, but less so than a standard white suiting shirt. Does that make any sense?
    Sounds like you want something with some texture? You can get shirts made with oxford cloth, but which aren't button down. So they're smarter than OCBD, but more casual/interesting than your standard work shirt. Something like this, though sure there are better examples out there...

Fully Fitted Plain White Oxford Shirt | T.M.Lewin

Trend Setter
    That's a good call, thanks. Yes, just something less "officey". A collar that looks good without a tie as well.

What can i wear with this trousers? Is it o.k to wear light blue shirt, or navy blazer with them?

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 ... Last