FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 11 51 ... Last
    Sam

Style Icon

The "What Should I Wear With This?" Thread

Howdy all,

Got a strikingly colourful pair of trousers you're clueless about wearing? Bought a slightly deeper necked tee than you meant to? Trying out a new cut or fit?

In the wake of a fair few topics of this ilk, here is a thread for all the basic queries. Hopefully we can have everybody off and dapper within a few posts each!

If you want to ask the forum, remember to provide plenty of info in your post; about the fit of your piece, what you've been considering, where and when you're planning to wear your problem piece etc. As makes it immeasurably easier to help you out!

And I would, of course, like to kick off.
    Because I've just ordered a fetchingly brown and moleskin jacket from Austin Reed at a heavy discount.

That diddy little picture is the best I can find.

If it fits well around the shoulders, I'll make sure to get it tailored to a perfect fit. Now, I figured this would be a nice new texture to add into the wardrobe, in the spirit of the heritage trend, but what shall I pair it with? I'd like to avoid looking like my dapper old granddad if at all possible! I have been enjoying the idea of it with my roll necks in navy, cream, olive and black, but after that I'm stuck. Lend us a hand folks

Jay

Style Icon
    Heritage is all about classic textures and muted colours. The trick is to keep the classicism but include a modern twist to keep it from being too staid. The good thing is, I think the younger you are the more traditional you can look with less chance of looking like a geography teacher.

The outfit below mixes earthy tones in browns and plums, uses traditional fabrics and styling with the tweed tie and socks (and the jacket itself), but keeps it modern with a skinny turned up plum cordurouys turned up just above the brogue boot.

I just bought some baby blue canvas shoes, any idea what jeans/trousers to wear with them?

Great Idea for a thread mate, any idea what I could wear with this nudie denim jacket, I picked it up over a year ago and have only worn it once due to not having anything suitable to go with it! Its quite a slim fitting jacket and I always wear it open.

Nudie Jeans Co Denim Jacket - American Rag - farfetch.com

Sam

Style Icon
    Thanks Jay! That looks great. I actually happen to have a very similar pair of trousers (chinos rather than cords - bet you can't guess where from...), and tan boots, although rather than brogue boots they're, er, deck boots ( ) - I have been meaning to get a pair of tan chelseas, mind. But that certainly sounds great, I like the checked shirt, which is something I hadn't considered.

Johnny - are we talking about oxfords/derbies, or trainers? If the former I'd suggest a mutedly colourful chino (the plum colour Jay posted would be ideal) and a smart jacket in grey, navy, or beige/camel/tobacco/whatever. A V neck tee (natural/off white is a personal favourite colour) would take the look into the weekend, whereas a crisp shirt would make it a daring sort of smart casual look.
    If the latter, then I'd still suggest muted coloured chinos and a blazer but I'd advise that a tee or polo would work better than a shirt. Also, the latter would work better with plain old blue slim/skinny jeans than the former, so that's certainly an option.
    You could reference the baby blue colour in your top half, as an accent colour of a pattern (say, a check)
    What you shouldn't try to do is play it down; baby blue is always going to pop, so let it do that and wear it confidently.

Andy - I'd avoid pairing that jacket with blue or black jeans - but in slim or skinny fits, denim of any other colour, or indeed a chino (again, perhaps not black or navy), would work wonderfully. You can't fault a white tee if you're struggling but you can aim to hit the workwear trend by pairing it with a flannel and/or checked shirt - just make sure the colours work with your trousers (a black accent colour would work wonderfully with the colour of the jacket). Shoe wise - worker boots would be a good nod to the aforementioned workwear trend, and are both trendy and practical this season.

That would be my take on things - hope I helped, chaps!

Trend Setter
    Jay, that tie is the sex.

Andyrew, I'd go for a contrasting denim. I have a wicked pair of bright purple jeans that would go well with that jacket. maybe with a simple lesther hi top and a white crew neck underneath. keep it simple.

Thanks for the advice guys, the white tee is what I thought I'd probably wear underneath it so thanks for confirming that! As for the bottom half I do have some chinos that could work which I had never considered, if not I'm now thinking of getting some grey jeans! I also need to go on a hunt for some worker boots, any suggestions anyone? I only own one pair of boots and theyre pretty naff to be honest.

Sam

Style Icon
    Sounds like a foolproof look - if you're looking for boots, I'd look for something rugged and simple like this:
    ALDO | ALDO Tyra Workboots at ASOS
    A versatile boot if your style is fairly relaxed - and as much as they might be on trend now, they're a basic enough design to transcend fashion.

thanks for the boots link, they're quite nice. I've just bought some grey jeans today, some cheap and cheerful ones from burton

http://www.burton.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...21&pageSize=20

just wondering do you think the outfit would work with brown boots?

Sam

Style Icon
    Absolutely. I would at some point consider picking up some slimmer jeans (and perhaps in a cleaner wash like the jacket) to compliment the fit of the jacket, which you make sound quite slim, but otherwise you're away.

Brogue boots are being championed across the forum right now as a solid go anywhere boot - if you can pick up a pair that aren't too smart and shiny (think beat up and rustic) they'll work great with this look too.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 11 51 ... Last