FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Winter/Summer Wardrobe Debate

Just one for discussion:

Do you completely change your wardrobe with the seasons? This question arose for me just now when I bought a Tweed Blazer off eBay. I thought immediately that I'd have to put it away for a few months before I could wear it.

But then I thought why? In this country, there's nothing to stop me wearing such a blazer well into spring, especially in the evenings.

Or are you the sort of person who sees the season changes as being purely about textures and appearences? Its not that tweed or cord is too warm, it just looks wrong out of winter.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Style Icon
    I'm at a dilemma with this. Usually I carry trends into the Summer (here in Britain, as you say, the Summer isn't usually indistinguishable from other times of the year) however this year I think this might be trickier. There's a fairly big gulf between Autumn/Winters Heritage style and this Summer's Italian Riviera look. I think I will try and make the most of last season's wardrobe, but during the day I think it might be tricky to pull off the tweed-blazer look (unless it fits really well). I want to get my tweed tailored.

However, I think the jumpers from last season can still be worn easily, and shirts can transcend easily.

I think this season is a lot about new, quirky pieces: printed shirts which we may look back and loath in years to come. That's fashion I guess.

I'm aiming to buy pieces I believe I will always enjoy wearing. At the moment though, I'm looking at my wardrobe and realising I may need to splash out to fit in this summer...

Style Icon
    I empathise alot with you, and I have had to splash out on summer pieces although generally i've kept the cost down by shopping on eBay and lower high street stores like H and M and Topman.

I'll definately be carrying my lower half on from last season, as all I wear are skinny chinos of various colours. Just roll them up a couple of extra times and swap the brogues for boat shoes or loafers!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I'll definately be carrying my lower half on from last season, as all I wear are skinny chinos of various colours. Just roll them up a couple of extra times and swap the brogues for boat shoes or loafers!
    I love the fact that chinos are such an all-year-round piece of clothing, it makes things so much easier. Last week I was ready to start buying loads of stuff for my summer wardrobe, but now I think I'm going to buy the desert boots I've been after for a while and just wear them until it starts to get hot again.

I think it's difficult to carry over the tops from last season, for me wool is too warm even with the temperatures having dropped a bit over this weekend. I'm going to invest in some nice cotton/linen jumpers from Reiss and All Saints I think, and then buy some loafers, boat shoes, and shorts in a month or two when the weather really starts to improve.

Fashionisto
    This is my first summer since I started taking notice of sites like this one in September, so my winter wardrobe is going nowhere. I don't have the budget to put it to one side and buy a summer one, so just as my winter wardrobe was basically an attempt at smartening up pieces that I already own, my summer wardrobe will be focussing on adapting my winter wardrobe for summer. Top of the list is linen/cotton blazers in blue and beige. Then a pair of desert boots in beige (I've also got a pair of blue suede brogues that I picked up in TK Maxx a few months back). That then gives me a couple of dead simple outfits (blue brogues, beige chinos, white shirt, blue blazer. Beige desert boots, blue chinos, white shirt, beige blazer) that I can make variations on (different shirts, ties, pocket squares). TK Maxx and eBay will prove to be godsends I think, I've been picking up designer gear at H&M/Burton prices for months now (some purchases less successful than others, had some fakes from eBay and a Tommy Hilfiger blazer from TK which I love, but isn't flexible enough to justify the amount I paid for it really).

+ Reply to Thread