FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 ... Last
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3241

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    Just got paid, not bought anything for ages so I've been chomping at the bit to get my hands on some new threads;

Hey Will, what's the composition of that sweater? I like the look, but I'm concerned that being H&M it's mostly synthetic fiber. I'm going through a quality over quantity stage...

FashionBeans Staff
    It's 80% Lambswool and 20% polymide I think. Basically it's mostly lambswool and a bit of something else. I had a quick feel in store and it looks to be a good purchase.

Trend Setter
    Ah, I finally bought a pair of boots. I've been looking for months, posted a few questions to the forums, and finally found something that fits me, that seems well constructed, is stylish, and will be useful when the winter arrives.

They're from Clarks. Leather tops with rubbers soles, so should hold pretty well when the ground is a bit slippery. It seems that Clarks's sizes run a bit to the large side. I went down two (EU) sizes from my normal to get something that fit well, which is actually great because smaller sizes are easier to find! I was considering the lighter shade of tan, but figured I'd go darker and have something with a more classic look. Works pretty well with every pair of pants I have, too, so I think these are my "go-to" winter shoes.

Trend Setter
    It's 80% Lambswool and 20% polymide I think. Basically it's mostly lambswool and a bit of something else. I had a quick feel in store and it looks to be a good purchase.
    Okay, that's better than I was expecting. I wonder how much difference that 20% makes. I'd be worried about 50%, but 10-20% is probably not bad, and drops the price a bit. Have you noticed any difference with low synthetic percentages in the long run? I just checked, and all my sweaters are 100% cotton so I have no reference...I don't even have any wool ones! Well, I'm in the market for a new sweater now, so I'll probably look for something in wool.

FashionBeans Staff
    It won't make a huge difference to the overall feel or quality of the garment, I think that comes down to this communities sensibilities, as long as you have a majority natural fibres then its fine and for 25 I think its a bargain, you could spend a lot more and get a lot worse.

You'll also find that more and more knitwear that is made of cotton is going to more synthetic fibre woven into it because the cotton crops this year have been terrible and it costs an absolute shitload.

Liking your boots by the way. Glad you finally found some. I'd like some chunky brogue boots.

Trend Setter
    It won't make a huge difference to the overall feel or quality of the garment, I think that comes down to this communities sensibilities, as long as you have a majority natural fibres then its fine and for 25 I think its a bargain, you could spend a lot more and get a lot worse.

You'll also find that more and more knitwear that is made of cotton is going to more synthetic fibre woven into it because the cotton crops this year have been terrible and it costs an absolute shitload.

Liking your boots by the way. Glad you finally found some. I'd like some chunky brogue boots.
    Good point about the cotton this year. Guess this is the year I finally move to wool, although that's probably not an option for casual shirts.

Cheers for the boots comment. Do you have any example of chunky brogues? That seems like a contradiction to me. I was staying away from chunky because I'm slim and my feet are already big enough; I think "chunky" on me would look like clown shoes. Then again I'm tall enough that maybe it's not terribly obvious.

Style Icon

Barbour, in the ASOS sale.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ah, I finally bought a pair of boots. I've been looking for months, posted a few questions to the forums, and finally found something that fits me, that seems well constructed, is stylish, and will be useful when the winter arrives.

They're from Clarks. Leather tops with rubbers soles, so should hold pretty well when the ground is a bit slippery. It seems that Clarks's sizes run a bit to the large side. I went down two (EU) sizes from my normal to get something that fit well, which is actually great because smaller sizes are easier to find! I was considering the lighter shade of tan, but figured I'd go darker and have something with a more classic look. Works pretty well with every pair of pants I have, too, so I think these are my "go-to" winter shoes.
    I've been contemplating whether I should get this exact pair of brogue boots, or get the more iconic Clarks Desert Boot in Tan. Looks like the former will be more winter appropriate tho (The weather is practically still transitioning from summer here...and it's November already!) How does it hold up against the elements? And would you recommend it?

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    I've been contemplating whether I should get this exact pair of brogue boots, or get the more iconic Clarks Desert Boot in Tan. Looks like the former will be more winter appropriate tho (The weather is practically still transitioning from summer here...and it's November already!) How does it hold up against the elements? And would you recommend it?
    Haha. I was considering that, too. Like you said, this is more winter appropriate, and I was looking for winter boots, so in the end it was an easy choice.

I've only had them for 24 hours, so I can't say much about them yet. I'm still breaking them in. Just got back from a two hour stroll around the city. One fits great, the other is still rubbing at my heel a bit. Great ankle support, though. I seem to put a lot of pressure on the top-front of shoes when I walk, so I found I have to double-knot it or it comes untied, but that's not a huge problem. I've sprayed a few light coats of leather waterproofer on them but haven't subjected them to the elements yet. If you want to PM me in a week or two I can probably let you know about that. Paris is a bit rainy this time of year!

So far I'd recommend it, but that's assuming they mold to my feet a bit more in the coming weeks.

Fashionisto

99.99 in TK Maxx
    Last edited by Wheelie123; 04-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread