FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 92 142 182 190 191 192 193 194 202 242 292 ... Last
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 3301

APC's and raw denim in general just sound like a massive pain in the ass to me. What's wrong with jeans that just fit properly and look how you want them to look when you buy them?

True dat. I dabbled in the raw denim trend a little white ago with some Edwin ED77's IIRC. Far too much hassle for me and they shrank a bit too much after the first wash even though I followed the instructions etc properly and purchased the right size up. I stick to AllSaints' black gun pant from now on.

Yeah man. All Saints cigarettes are perfect for me. Extremely hard wearing and good value for money too.

I have always loved Diesel jeans too but the cuts leave a bit to be desired and they are a bit overpriced.

Love the cigarette style, but my thighs certainly don't! On the look out for a new tapered pair of jeans/trousers ATM. Used to like Diesel a few years ago but just can't get excited about the brand anymore.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    APC's and raw denim in general just sound like a massive pain in the ass to me. What's wrong with jeans that just fit properly and look how you want them to look when you buy them?
    I just like the idea of clothes which evolve into something unique depending how you wear them. It's the same appeal as a pair of battered trainers or leather which has built up a patina.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Love the cigarette style, but my thighs certainly don't! On the look out for a new tapered pair of jeans/trousers ATM. Used to like Diesel a few years ago but just can't get excited about the brand anymore.
    Would have thought the AS Tapers would be the ones to look at now?

I agree about Diesel, I have a couple of leathers and pairs of jeans from the brand that I will wear forever, but none of the new stuff does it for me really.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep Boy View Post
    I just like the idea of clothes which evolve into something unique depending how you wear them. It's the same appeal as a pair of battered trainers or leather which has built up a patina.
    I get that... Does that not happen with everything to a degree though? So why buy jeans 2-4 sizes too small, go through the hassle of stretching them, having to worry about washing / shrinking them, having the dye rub off onto shoes / bags / furniture, etc etc?

If there was some degree of certainty on sizing etc it would all make a lot more sense to me, but there are so many threads out there with people who've had all these different experiences with the same product. Just that one fact means it's just way too much of a gamble with too little return to ever be interesting to me.

I've had a look at the AS tapers style jeans, but the selection is crap ATM. Think I'll have one last try with the cigarette style and see if I can squeeze into them. Otherwise, I'll just wait for my styles in the taper.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    I get that... Does that not happen with everything to a degree though? So why buy jeans 2-4 sizes too small, go through the hassle of stretching them, having to worry about washing / shrinking them, having the dye rub off onto shoes / bags / furniture, etc etc?

If there was some degree of certainty on sizing etc it would all make a lot more sense to me, but there are so many threads out there with people who've had all these different experiences with the same product. Just that one fact means it's just way too much of a gamble with too little return to ever be interesting to me.
    It isn't like that.
    Firstly, buying a pair 2 sizes too small is not a hassle. It just feels abnormal.
    The initial stretching is over in a day (depending on how you like your jeans to fit. For anyone looking for a straight fit +, this stage does not really deserve a comment as it is not really taken into consideration).
    After 3 weeks at most the jeans are perfect, and I certainly never found mine uncomfortable to wear in this period.
    Again, the shrinking is not an issue if you wash them correctly.
    Indeed, if you buy a good quality pair, the dye does not rub off ( I have never had any issue with my APC's)

No pair of washed jeans looks better than a pair of worn-in raw denims. Nothing. Nothing compares. They just look awesome. If you really wish you can buy pairs that have already been worn, but they aren't unique to you.

If I buy a pair of 'normal' jeans and they fade/shrink against my wishes, I won't buy them again as these changes are unwanted and most likely an indication of poor denim. All Saints' recent denim has been hostage to these events, unfortunately, which makes me question whether I will buy from them again.

Overall, it's just really cool wearing a pair of jeans where all the whiskers, honeycombs, fades etc are in the right places, and not half-way up the back of your thigh like most high-street pairs are.
    The degree of uncertainty over sizing etc is forgotten if you know what you're buying.
    For me it's no trickier than realising that All Saints' size 28 denim is never going to be a size 28. I've had more issues buying jeans in my size online from brands such as AS than I have in ordering Raw Denim.

There just seems to be so much conflicting information about sizes, and you read so much about people getting it wrong that it does come across as a hassle. The amount of threads about this subject on fashion forums backs this up.

Why is fading and shrinking in "normal" jeans unwanted, but desirable in raw denim?

I have jeans that weren't raw but had great fades to start with, and have developed deeper fades in the right places with age. It just seems like a more logical way to achieve the same result.

IMO faded raw denim doesn't look significantly (if at all) better. I do like how it looks when it is raw, but they don't stay like that. Maybe I'll give a pair another go at some point, but I dunno, it just seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.

+ Reply to Thread