FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 106 156 196 204 205 206 207 208 216 256 306 ... Last
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 3372

Trend Setter
    Picked up two Merino cardigans from the HE by Mango sale (only £22.99 each and 100% wool):

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbe84 View Post
    Is the quality of those types of t-shirts that much better than normal ones? Paid £50ish at full price for some nice Paul Smith round neck ones but would struggle to pay more other than for polos. Some of the designs of the upmarket ones on Mr Porter and Matches look sick but can never bring myself to pay the extra without knowing if they're so much better quality.
    The quality is irrelevant. You're paying the designer not the manufacturer. But it's a bit like one of us wearing the infamous burberry heart shirt in ten months time. There are some items that just are not meant to be purchased at half price. The other pick ups are cool though.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    The quality is irrelevant. You're paying the designer not the manufacturer. But it's a bit like one of us wearing the infamous burberry heart shirt in ten months time. There are some items that just are not meant to be purchased at half price. The other pick ups are cool though.
    Yeah I guess you make a good point there. Ones I've never understood is Givenchy. Find nearly all of their designs hideous. All over the top and unwearable yet cotton t-shirts can go for over £400. Guess it comes down to people with more £ than sense wanting everyone to know what they're wearing rather than people investing in quality garments.

Thanks for the comment guys. Can't wait to receive the AMI blazer as that's the pick of the bunch for me, along with the Burberry Zebra tee. Just waiting for the further reductions before I pull the trigger on some investment pieces.

Those wondering, you do get better quality at a higher price point, but there's limitations to this rule. E.g. a £200 Burberry tee will be better made than a £35 All Saints one, but arguably won't be better than a £100 tee. Of course at some point you pay for the brand, design, exclusivity etc but there is a tipping point. Brands that aren't quite worth their price point to me are Visvim, Givenchy, Thom Browne and Rick Owens. Granted they are desirable brands, but some of it is just a case of people getting caught up in the hype, as with most streetwear brands ATM. Best example of this is Pyrex's plaid shirt that was just an $80 screen printed Ralph Lauren Rugby shirt selling for $550 and still sold out!

Trend Setter
    AMI must have repositioned themselves towards the higher end in recent years? I remember buying an AMI leather jacket (safari style Ė patch pockets, epaulettes etc.) about 15 years ago for £200.

G
    ranted it was 15 years ago but thatís still quite cheap for a leather jacket from a brand thatís now commanding high prices on Mr Porter etc.

Fashionisto
    wow there are some great deals on MR Porter. The things I wanted are still out of my range though. Does anyone know if there'll be further reductions (and if so, when?)

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Textbook View Post
    AMI must have repositioned themselves towards the higher end in recent years? I remember buying an AMI leather jacket (safari style Ė patch pockets, epaulettes etc.) about 15 years ago for £200.

G
    ranted it was 15 years ago but thatís still quite cheap for a leather jacket from a brand thatís now commanding high prices on Mr Porter etc.
    Pretty sure it's not the same AMI, because this one was founded in 2011. You can read about them on the Mr Porter site.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEasy View Post
    wow there are some great deals on MR Porter. The things I wanted are still out of my range though. Does anyone know if there'll be further reductions (and if so, when?)
    Expect further reductions (up to 70% off) on about the 10th - 13th and then final reductions (up to 80% off) about the 20th/21st with the sale ending on the 28th as per last year.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Anagni View Post
    Pretty sure it's not the same AMI, because this one was founded in 2011. You can read about them on the Mr Porter site.
    Interesting. There used to be a brand called AMI that was around in the mid to late 90’s. They were typically stocked in independent stores. As I mentioned, I had a leather jacket from them. Wonder if they closed down and re-launched as Jigsaw Menswear have recently done?

I've been a lurker on this site for a few months and I'd like to thank everyone for the inspiration and for costing me lots of money!

As most people on here I've been hitting the sales. A couple of highlights...

Church's Farthingston Brown Leather Brogue:

Kooples Grey Fannel Jacket:

Also bought an All Saints Kumo Denim Jacket, wine coloured Dockers Alpha Khaki Chinos and some grey Burberry Shoreditch slim fit jeans.

+ Reply to Thread