FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 272 322 ... Last
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3484

Trend Setter
    Surely it's all relative? Everyone buys within their means. For example, I haven't got the spare cash to be buying expensive basics, things like t-shirts, underwear, etc. To me, those items are things which could get damaged or wear naturally, so I wouldn't invest large sums of money in them. However, I would happily drop 200+ on a coat, suit or a pair of shoes, because those are investment pieces that if looked after properly will last a lifetime. I'm sure if I was on a six or seven figure salary I wouldn't think twice about getting my basics from somewhere like Sunspel, Harrods etc, but with my current income that seems like a waste of money.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by merc05 View Post
    Surely it's all relative? Everyone buys within their means. For example, I haven't got the spare cash to be buying expensive basics, things like t-shirts, underwear, etc. To me, those items are things which could get damaged or wear naturally, so I wouldn't invest large sums of money in them. However, I would happily drop 200+ on a coat, suit or a pair of shoes, because those are investment pieces that if looked after properly will last a lifetime. I'm sure if I was on a six or seven figure salary I wouldn't think twice about getting my basics from somewhere like Sunspel, Harrods etc, but with my current income that seems like a waste of money.
    Yes absolutely agree 100%, I guess some might buy what they couldn't afford (shopaholics etc), but I'm with you in this one.

Trend Setter
    Speaking of shopoholics....

I recently purchased this from Jigsaw in the size up from what I normally take (out of stock in my size), because it it seemed like such a steal at 69, and another thread on here was singing it's praises:

The problem is I think it is a tad too big and even with tailoring might not be perfect.. but it IS a gorgeous jacket, great material etc. Only tried it on quickly so might try again and ask the tailor what they can do.

Trend Setter
    That was me. It’s a lovely blazer and very slim fitting on me but I managed to get my size (38”) rather than have to size up. I love the cuff details and the way the buttons are concealed yet fully working.
    Anyway, grabbed these moleskin trousers from Reiss today:

Trend Setter
    @Texbook, yes, nice details and material. Material is bulky so I think that adds to the feeling of being too big. I'm normally a 36 and bought a 38.

Nice trousers. I got a similar green/olive pair in the Reiss sale.

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    They caveat being 'as long as you know what you are looking for'! I'd say a majority of well known designers or higher priced high street brands don't necessarily come with the quality. For example, a Hugo boss or Armani suit will be made with 'average' cloths, a Gant or Ralph Lauren knit jumper is no more special than Marks and Spencer, All Saints looks good but falls apart easily etc. You tend to have to rummage for boutique or lesser known brands which may come with the higher price for truly quality materials and craftsmanship. There will always be exceptions of course, but for general clothing I still find my Uniqlo, and even H&M or River Island last just as long as something twice the price, and for as long as this is the case, I'm fairly content with spending as little as possible where I can!
    Agree 99.9% with this. The only thing that hurts my feelings is that you may be willing to insert primark socks in to those shoes.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Agree 99.9% with this. The only thing that hurts my feelings is that you may be willing to insert primark socks in to those shoes.
    I know I admit I'm a bit weird about socks - I still need to 'discover' them

It doesn't help that I don't have very manly feet, I'm a size 7, and most decent socks are an 8-12, meaning the heel curve is half way up the back of my leg!! But there is absolutely a case to answer in why I have 50p socks, when a decent pair are only going to be a tenner. I'd waste a tenner on a couple of magazines no problem so there is no excuse!
    Does anyone know of sock makers who do tighter sizing, so rather than 8-12, more like 6-8, 8-10 etc??

Trend Setter
    @Creed I'm a size 6 so have the same problem. Glad to hear someone else complaining about it!

I recently got some basic navy socks from Charles Tyrwhitt because they start in a 6. I have also noticed that some of the sock brands on sites like Mr Porter do smaller sizes but Porter don't stock them, e.g. Corgi sells socks in a 6 on their own site. Falke also sell socks in a 6, but again not on the Mr P site.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Speaking of shopoholics....

I recently purchased this from Jigsaw in the size up from what I normally take (out of stock in my size), because it it seemed like such a steal at 69, and another thread on here was singing it's praises:

The problem is I think it is a tad too big and even with tailoring might not be perfect.. but it IS a gorgeous jacket, great material etc. Only tried it on quickly so might try again and ask the tailor what they can do.
    V. Nice

Would it be no good for layering over denim, knitwear, leather etc?

Fashionisto

Not 100% sure on this but being the last one at 99 reduced from 350 thought Id order it, can always return it.

+ Reply to Thread