FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Style Icon
    I would agree in a smart sense, but casually it works with this jacket; it's so slim fitted that if I unbutton it it's difficult to tell it's double breasted (with the collar up the 'breasts' fold back a bit making it look single breasted). Of course this makes it sound as though I'm making it into something that it's not, but if I'm using the pockets I like it to be undone as I hate to put strain on the button. If it were made of linen or wool I would completely agree with you.

(and yes, I did just pose in the mirror and try this now).

Sam

Style Icon
    I wouldn't fold the jacket in on itself; that just sounds messy. I can accept that it might not be such a bad look in your case; if I remember rightly, the Foreman jacket is a very casual sort of DB, with a fairly narrow closure? It would be almost louchely charming to wear undone, if it's as I recall.
    But in any case, that jacket is not this one; if OP goes DB, it stays done up.
    Come to think of it, I tend to prefer that suit jackets are done up when not sat down anyway. Call it personal preference, but I think undoing it is a great way to let perfect fit go to waste.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I wouldn't fold the jacket in on itself; that just sounds messy. I can accept that it might not be such a bad look in your case; if I remember rightly, the Foreman jacket is a very casual sort of DB, with a fairly narrow closure? It would be almost louchely charming to wear undone, if it's as I recall.
    But in any case, that jacket is not this one; if OP goes DB, it stays done up.
    Come to think of it, I tend to prefer that suit jackets are done up when not sat down anyway. Call it personal preference, but I think undoing it is a great way to let perfect fit go to waste.
    Oh I completely agree, but as you allude: certain occasions call for different looks. And by fold I didn't mean in on itself: quite the opposite, the breasts naturally follow the line of the collar, so if it's up (for an extremely laid-back look) then the 'breasts' fall outwards.

The OP would be wrong to unbutton the jacket though as I think it could look messy.
    And you're right about perfect fit: I guess that when wearing a blazer with certain friends, one can't help but feel overdressed.

+ Reply to Thread