FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Summer Wedding Suits

Hi all,

Longtime reader first time yadayada.

I wanted to pick people's brains for some suit ideas for a wedding. I'm going to America for a wedding in a few months and it's going to be chuffing warm apparently (about 30 Celsius).

I'm not sure what kind of suit to go for. I've had a look at some white linen suits but they look like they'll turn me into the man from Del Monte. I just can't seem to find good summer-type suits. I tend to go to Topman if in doubt, but that's not been much help.

So any recommendations folks? Cheers

Sam

Style Icon
    Go for a non-white linen suit - or a suit in a linen/cotton blend. I reckon your main colour options are grey, blue, or beige.
    Allsaints do a few for example, but steer clear of any deliberate crinkling/distressing. They'll do that themselves in no time anyway. Most of those you'll find will be deconstructed; perfect for channelling a bit of Italian style, so try pairing it with loafers.
    I think this double breasted Allsaints suit ("L'Orient") would be quite a suave, on-trend choice:

66% Linen, 34% cotton. Just add loafers, blue shirt, and nice bright pocket square. Do you need a tie? Depends how fancy the invitation is

Style Icon
    Blue shirt? I think a white shirt would look much nicer: especially for a wedding. I have a variation of this jacket and it's awesome: the fit is superb.

I think a slim, knitted, tie would look good (for me with an old-school stripe pattern), but for a wedding you might want to go for a more traditional look. It really boils down to personal tastes.

Ah, that looks up my street. Cheers guys, great ideas. I'm going to check them out.

It's going to be formal to begin with, but as it's in New Orleans I think it's going to end in some bar, so the outfit's going to have to go all day!

Sam

Style Icon
    Well, in addition to knitted, consider a lightweight silk tie - a little more seasonally appropriate, I'd venture.
    And if you do end up going down the double breasted route, don't wear too narrow a tie; it won't look right.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    And if you do end up going down the double breasted route, don't wear too narrow a tie; it won't look right.
    I think a lot of this depends on the lapels. A skinny tie is out of the question, but the All Saints blazer has notch lapels and consequently I think a slim tie would be a must.
    Maybe not as season appropriate, but I have this tie from All Saints and it's awesome: (the perfect thickness IMHO too).

Jay

Style Icon
    Go for a non-white linen suit - or a suit in a linen/cotton blend. I reckon your main colour options are grey, blue, or beige.
    Allsaints do a few for example, but steer clear of any deliberate crinkling/distressing. They'll do that themselves in no time anyway. Most of those you'll find will be deconstructed; perfect for channelling a bit of Italian style, so try pairing it with loafers.
    I think this double breasted Allsaints suit ("L'Orient") would be quite a suave, on-trend choice:

66% Linen, 34% cotton. Just add loafers, blue shirt, and nice bright pocket square. Do you need a tie? Depends how fancy the invitation is
    The problem with double breasted jackets is that they look dreadful unbuttoned, and if he's going to be wearing it all day in a warm climate...

Sam

Style Icon
    Fair point. It is slightly baffling that double breasted tailoring is such a trend for SS12.

And Ben - look again, it has peak lapels, as should any DB blazer. So I'd avoid a slim, straight tie.

Style Icon
    Fair point. It is slightly baffling that double breasted tailoring is such a trend for SS12.

And Ben - look again, it has peak lapels, as should any DB blazer. So I'd avoid a slim, straight tie.
    Damn, quite right! I got notched and peaked muddle up as variants of slim and fat (as peak lapels are usually oversized).

@Jay, I can wear my Foreman blazer unbuttoned and I still think it looks good. Sometimes I stick the collar up and wear it as a casual jacket. The de-constructed nature makes it quite flexible in this regard.

Jay

Style Icon
    No no no no. A double-breasted jacket really doesn't look good unbuttoned. It's one of the basic laws of style (according to me, that is).

+ Reply to Thread