FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Nat

Style Icon

Smart-Casual Shirts

Good afternoon style gurus. I need some help in the shirt department. My style has become increasingly "smart-casual" of late - lots of dark slim jeans, chinos, fine-guage knits, jackets etc. One area I am lacking in is shirts. I have loads of smart shirts for work, but need a few which are a bit more relaxed (not too much mind!). I have just bought a light blue oxford one, and that seems to work well. I was also considering something in a small gingham check, if anyone has any suggestions. I prefer long sleeved so that I have the option to roll. Oh, and the fit should be slim preferably.

So what do you think? What shirts would go with the above kind of gear? Are work shirts transferable to a more casual setting?

Budget = up to 50, though preferably less, as I need a few!

Thanks in advance.

Nat

1st post from me - been reading the forums for a little while now though.

Have you looking into Remus Uomo stuff - I picked up a nice pale blue shirt weekend before easter. Smart but with pattened detailing inside the collar and cuffs (ooo errr).

Slim fitting with long sleeves - could be what you're after...

Fashionisto
    Oxford shirts are really in at the moment, and ASOS has a pretty great collection of them. The only problem is they're around 30 a pop, same as Topman. I think H&M has a couple shirts for relatively cheap too. But yeah, Oxford and gingham check sound perfect!

Style Icon
    Hit eBay, I got two Allsaints oxford shirts (a blue and a white one) on there, each for less than a tenner. The quality is good and the cut of their shirts is perfect for a slender fellow like myself.

If not, Topman's ones are okay.

Nat

Style Icon
    I tried on an all saints oxford shirt in TKMax the other day - 70 down to 30, thought it was going to be a steal. It was ridiculously tight on the arms though, even though it was a large. And I don't exactly have big guns! Alas.

Any ideas on different shirts that would fit the bill though? I like small gingham checks, but not really found anything that appeals

Trend Setter
    wee trip to h&m mate, really like the shirts they have, two button down oxfords white and a blue one tenner each.

Nat

Style Icon
    Thanks for the advice chaps. Just got a blue oxford from H&M. Will get one in white too. Just need something a bit more interesting too I reckon.

Not heard of Remus Uomo before, so will check them out, ta

try uniqlo for oxford shirts, very cheap and i have some i bought about 2/3 years ago that still look great and have held up well.

TK Maxx is always worth checking but no guarantees

ASOS have a range of Oxford shirts for 22 at the moment - lots of colours available, they look nice tbh

Fashionisto
    The problem with casual shirts is they don't have the same range of collar/fit/sleeve options as for formal shirts. I always end up with cuffs past my knuckles. I'd be obliged if anyone could reccommend a casual shirt which offers different sleeve lengths.

+ Reply to Thread