FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Tight Skinny Jeans For Men

what are your thoughts?

FashionBeans Staff
    If we're talking spray on esque styles then in my opinion you have to be very, very careful. I'm not against them, I own a pair of H&M super drains that are essentially spray on and I wear them an awful lot, but they only work in certain situations and with certain looks. For example, I would never try and incorporate them into my stylish wardrobe, because they just do not work in that situation; they'd look ridiculous worn with brogues, loafers, boots or anything other than trainers, you can't wear them with blazers or shirts either. with truly skinny jeans you are creating a very specific look and it doesn't do to think otherwise.

However, when I'm not as bothered about what I'm sporting I will quite happily wear them with a pair of addidas cieros, a t shirt, hoodie and my varsity jacket or harrington.

Anyone with legs like a sparrow should avoid them because it just makes them look thin and weedy, you need muscle and bulk to pull them off properly; or thats the way my legs are and I think they work much better.

I would not expect a great deal of support for them though.
    Last edited by William Colman; 11-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Style Icon
    As a "sparrow-legged" guy who used to wear spray ons quite alot, I can't stand them because I regret wearing them so much.

However, on someone else and in a particular look its not that bad.

For example:

Washed Black Spray on jeans
    Black Chelsea boots
    Slouch white tee
    Denim Jacket

That's a classic, casual look there and the jeans give it a massive rock n roll vibe. But for me? NEVER AGAIN.

I wear spray ons, pretty much. I agree with Will that they don't work so much with blazers or smarter looks, but I will wear them with loafers, quilted jackets, my biker jacket, etc etc

You do need to have a bit of leg bulk though imo. My legs aren't twiglets, so I maintain a coherent silhouette with them on

thanks for the advice my legs are quite "sparrow" like so this is why i am in two minds i think i may try it i like the idea of wearing them with a biker jacket sounds cool, thanks for your advice

Trend Setter
    I have jeans and cords that claim to be 'slim' that fit more like skinnies and 'skinnies' that fit more like slims. I try and stay away from anything too tight, for above stated reasons and because I think I am too old for that sort of thing!

geo

Fashionisto
    I find my perfect fit is a "slim-skinny" fit - most things that claim to be "slim fit" are still too wide and often just seem the new term for straight fit, to appeal to the masses. Whilst skinny are just too tight. So I usually end up buying slim which are often perfect up to the thigh and just a bit wide in the lower leg - so if I can be bothered, get them narrowed, so they are narrower than slim but not as tight as skinny. Maybe one day I will find the perfect fit without any tweaks needed...but that seems a idealist dream rather than reality, as all brands cater to a mass average model fit to get the least complaints/returns. And people are much more likely to take things back if they are too tight than if slightly too large (people just make do wearing something too large or think it will shrink). Think i'm just a perfectionist, which is annoying but I can't help it!

Style Icon
    The All Saints iggy-fit sounds perfect for you mate.

back in the 60's skinny jeans were worn with cuban heeled boots. Don't see cubans now, well not en mass. but i would think with winkle pickers they would be tidy. . I bought a pair of white skinny jeans lasy year but as i'm kinda old i've decided there a no go area for me. shame but one has to stop somewhere.

Fashionisto
    I was accidentally sent a pair of skinny jeans once. Being the curious person that I am, I decided to try them on anyway. The results weren’t good. They didn't fit and were just far too tight. I just wear slim fit jeans. I find them to be tight enough but not too tight if that makes sense. I can’t stand wearing baggy jeans. The fit has to be right and I am not skinny, I am slim.

+ Reply to Thread