FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Good Blazers?

Hey guys

Looking for a blazer to wear with my chinos in summer, I wanted some advice as I havent bought one before and was not sure if its acceptable to wear with a t-shirt and also what brands make decent ones, normally i stick with allsaints but they seem very over priced for what you get after seeing them in store, I took a look at jack wills since they seem to be known for that 'look' but none of them stand out to me that much.

Thanks for any help with this!

Jay

Style Icon
    You get what you pay for, I'm afraid (unless you hunt out bargains in sales, eBay, TK Maxx or similar places). Personally, I find the quality of AllSaints tailoring poor too. Anything cheaper though and you really take a nose dive in quality (I'm looking at the usual suspects here: Topman, H&M, Zara, Asos, etc.).

I've bought countless blazers over the years, and by far the best quality and styling at AllSaints money are Ted Baker blazers (200-300).

Also Holland Esquire make simply beautiful blazers which always seem on sale on their website (sadly, the best designs are sold out this season it seems though): Holland Esquire | Men's Jackets | Fine English Tailoring

Trend Setter
    My personal preferences lie with Jaegar and vintage Dior. I generally stay as far away as possible from All Saints and Jack Wills as possible. Topman also can throw up a bit of a bargain from time to time. And I wouldn't write off good old M&S.
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Trend Setter
    I'd suggest taking a look at Reiss as well; they are around the 200 mark, and they have stores all over the UK so they can tailor the blazer to fit you perfectly, though this will obviously be extra.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by merc05 View Post
    I'd suggest taking a look at Reiss as well; they are around the 200 mark, and they have stores all over the UK so they can tailor the blazer to fit you perfectly, though this will obviously be extra.
    Pretty much any store above a certain price range these days will have clothes tailored (even the likes of Zara). Don't bother with their services; simply ask where they get it tailored and take it there yourself. It will likely be close by, will save you a few quid as they always add little extra on to the cost and you get to talk to the person who will actually be cutting up those clothes.

Style Icon
    Tbh mate, If I'm looking at something seasonal like it appears you are, I just buy something from the highstreets. But then again that's how I shop, If I can get an item for 30 quid rather than 300, I'm going to go for it.

Topman and H and M and Zara do have some okay pieces. Sure the quality is rather poor, but I'm 18 and I can't afford much more. Then again, everyone always compliments me on my blazers. The average guy on the street isn't going to notice that extra percent of synthetic material!!!

Trend Setter
    It seems to be the year of the blazer! I've seen a few beautiful ones knocking about by:

Gant - GANT Men's Blazers & Jackets | Official GANT UK Store
    Tommy Hilfiger - Tommy Hilfiger
    J Lindberg - J Lindeberg Logo blazer Dark Blue - House of Fraser
    Reiss - Reiss Mens Jackets and Blazers
    Jack Wills - Men's Jackets | Jack Wills | Jack Wills

Then there are some decent cheaper alternatives:

Uniqlo - Coats & Blazers*-*Men's clothing *-*UNIQLO*UK*Online*fashion*store
    Zara - Blazers - Man - ZARA United Kingdom

I wouldn't consider H&M, the quality is in rapid decline and I was very disappointed when I visited last week.

And which one am I going for?

I like this: The Colmworth Blazer | Jack Wills (in navy)

But I'm by no means decided. I like the look of this but they are completely sold out. They are opening a store in NY so perhaps I can pick something up when I visit in July: The "Perfect" Blue Blazer - The Style Blogger Store

They have a good article on how to wear a summer blazer here: The Style Blogger - Summer Tailored Casual, Linen Jackets | TheStyleBlogger
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

thanks for all the help guys ill take a look! i just want to make sure i dont get a suit style blazer and more of a casual wear one, perhaps tweed, not sure yet...

Trend Setter
    I would second the Ted Baker blazers, well made and nice detailing.

try second hand... brick lane has become fairly shit but i have bought 3 blazers there in the last few years with a bit of searching, v good quality and always get compliments. you'll trawl through tons of shit but give it a go.

+ Reply to Thread