FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Denim Jacket

Hi all.
    Brightening up and realised I need a new jacket and decided im gna delve into the denim shirt/jacket over t shirt look a fair bit this spring.. but, a denim shirt is harder to find than it looks!!

Not really sure what colour of denim jacket to go, prefereably a blue I imagine, but light or dark, faded or washed orrrr?
    Unbuttoned, sleeves rolled up look?

Any recommendations/ideas with a relatively low budget..cheers!

Style Icon
    Go vintage, you can get Levi's, Lee etc for 35-40 in vintage shops, less if you get lucky on eBay. As for washes, light blue is classic and allows you to wear it with dark indigo jeans (arguably ).

Trend Setter
    I recently got a Levi's denim jacket for 18 on bay, and it fits great, not fully explored all the outfit options yet though.

Trend Setter
    I have an Edwin Axel in dry selvedge. It's beautiful. Some of you will sneer at this but I sometimes pair it with my dry ED62 (both are indigo although the jeans are starting to break down somewhat), desert boots and a super bright yellow V neck with the sleeves rolled up. Because that's how I roll.

Some would argue that the hues of the denim are too close but I think the yellow (or sometimes orange) break it up nicely.
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Style Icon
    Orange would look awesome. I think double denim looks best if worn almost like a suit. Olly's outfit sounds great.

Here's a great example:

I also want to pursue more options with my denim. I tend to wear it with slim/skinny blue trousers because I lack a suitably coloured jacket to wear with them (I have the matching Foreman blazer, but it can look too smart for casual wear). Wearing the denim jacket with smart trousers and a shirt helps to make an initially smart outfit a lot more casual (if the jacket in question is suitably casual).
    Last edited by _Ben_; 12-04-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Trend Setter
    I have been experimenting with wearing the denim kacjet under a blazer/jacket, because i saw it look good on a blog somewhere. Not managed to find the right combination of fit yet though.

Nat

Style Icon
    A related question....I have a denim jacket that is a bit too baggy on me. Can a tailor alter this?!

Trend Setter
    Topman have some limited edition jackets, one by mark mcnairy and so on.

Sam

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    Orange would look awesome. I think double denim looks best if worn almost like a suit. Olly's outfit sounds great.

Here's a great example:

I disagree completely - I'm of the opinion that it's an excellent way to look absolutely terrible with no risk of redemption and one of the only true "wrongs" you can make when you dress yourself (another being, of course, brown shoes with black trousers.) There are set rules when it comes to blue-on-blue double denim, and I can recite them from memory:

-Similar weights, contrasting washes. Lighter jacket, darker jeans.
    -Roll up sleeves. Consider rolling jeans.
    -Beat up shoes in a shade of brown.
    -Simple lower layer - a tee, polo, henley, or crew/V neck knit in a neutral tone.
    -Swagger.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I disagree completely - I'm of the opinion that it's an excellent way to look absolutely terrible with no risk of redemption and one of the only true "wrongs" you can make when you dress yourself (another being, of course, brown shoes with black trousers.) There are set rules when it comes to blue-on-blue double denim, and I can recite them from memory:

-Similar weights, contrasting washes. Lighter jacket, darker jeans.
    -Roll up sleeves. Consider rolling jeans.
    -Beat up shoes in a shade of brown.
    -Simple lower layer - a tee, polo, henley, or crew/V neck knit in a neutral tone.
    -Swagger.
    I would tend to disagree. Sometimes when you think something should look terrible in theory, in practice it just works. Obviously, having the guts to go ahead with it is what makes it.

The rules that you have stated are perhaps a loose cookie cutter guideline for a beginner (and no, I'm not referring to you directly, Sam) but I have seen many outfits put together that look fantastic and break all of them. Part of the beauty of a denim jacket is its versatility and if that is so heavily dumbed down to a list of 'must nots' when used as part of a double denim look then I think we're missing the point.
    I've seen plenty of double denim looks with a dark jacket and lighter wash jeans. I saw a bloke in similar indigo washes with a red and blue ginham shirt underneath the jacket with sleeves down and black biker boots over the jeans. It worked well. In fact I saw a G star (a brand I normally hate) lookbook a couple of seasons ago with a very similar aesthetic.

In short, if it looks good, don't question it. Just wear it.

As ever, just my 2 cents.
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

+ Reply to Thread