FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last
    geo

Trend Setter
    Yeah, I guess even though people's main aim is to please themselves, there is always a slight (/big?!) part of us that makes an effort to impress women...and I think if a woman is with an attractive guy, they sometimes like it if the guy doesn't make as much of an effort, so that other women are not as tempted by him!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    Plus, not sure if anyone else is the same, but there's times when I wonder why I make life harder for myself and I'm so picky on fit and must look right and can't just shove any old thing on and not give a toss? Been wondering what makes a person concerned with things like style...like for me, I didn't exactly choose to be bothered, it's just the way I am.

Forgot to say as well, first and foremost people should dress to please themselves (not a certain type of woman)..because most probably it will be what you think they like, not what they actually like. And if you dress to please yourself/you're own way, you'll be more confident in yourself, and more likely to attract women - in theory anyway.
    You've hit the nail on the head here Geo. My life would be so much easier if I reverted to Ambercrombie T-shirts and spiky hair and I'd probably make myself available to a much wider spectrum of girls.

But the truth is, I just can't! I don't know why I can't, but that's the way I am. Fashion is like being caught up in a stream and it's very hard to get out. I could try, but as soon as I saw a pair of grenson brogues, I'd start drooling and have to get back involved.

Fashionisto
    What they REALLY want between the ages 16 - 20 is confidence/charisma with decent facial aesthetics and as long as you don't dress abysmally then I think fashion sense takes a back seat.

geo

Trend Setter
    Agree - sadly when you're younger, the majority of people just do not care. Wearing a casual shirt is classed by those around you as being very smart - heaven forbid a blazer!!

Yet, when you get older, and women mature (and those other men who used to not care eventually mature and understand importance of style more), a sense of style, quality and interest in the fit of clothes rather than just throwing on any old thing is much more appreciated, on the whole. But until you reach late twenties, you would have more luck wearing average jeans and a T-shirt all the time..any further attempt to look good seems sadly a lost cause. Of course, that doesn't bother me and I still make more of an effort, and indeed there are those who are exceptions to the generalisation above and girls/women who do appreciate boys and men who make that little bit of extra effort, beyond the realms of jeans and tee. Or even choose a well fitting jean/tee with some stylish shoes.

Perhaps if someone younger wants to impress but still maintain a sense of style, it is necessary to stick to what young women know of, such as more casual wear, but doing this well with great fit and extra things that go above and beyond but not the "try to hard" OTT look.

Again, my comment is based on a great generalisation on the average young guy 16-25 and average woman of the same ages. There are many many exceptions and it is a case of finding these people/mixing with people who appreciate what you appreciate.

Just my thoughts...

geo

Trend Setter
    And I try and maintain a balance, being young myself, between keeping stylish, but not being seen as too in your face/try to hard/noticeably different. Because, for a fact I know I am infinitely more stylish/know a lot more about clothes/fit/brands etc etc than a lot of people I know or people around my age, yet if I were to go around dressed up in blazers and shirts and smarter things all the time, I would be considered "strange" by some people. I think the hardest thing is striking a balance between keeping stylish and unique and true to you and yet not alienating others...which is a shame but true. A beneficial thing that has emerged out of the likes of "TOWIE" and "Made in Chelsea" is young people can see other young people making an effort - with the only way is essex, people may criticise the overall look, but at least they make an effort in wearing good fitting clothes and will wear blazers/suits and people do not bat an eyelid. Sadly in normal society, lots of people who make an effort are considered as trying too hard, yet in the celebrity world, dressing stylishly and what many people my age call "smart", is just normal in that world...in fact, them wearing what average young people wear, in casual ill fitting things, would look awful.

There are some days I might wear a well fitting shirt and chinos and loafers - all with exceptional fit - so even though the items themselves do not sound extraordinary, the fit of the clothes shines and looks far better than the average guy in shirt two big/chinos loose and baggy and ill fitting. And it amazes me how for so many people my age, wearing a shirt is something saved only for best events - my mindset is that if I have nice things, I will wear them whatever the occasion - and it might look smarter or more put together than others but I prefer to have the attitude of always presenting yourself the best you can at all times rather than one of "saving a nice shirt for some special occasion"..that might never occur.

And often I will wear casual stuff, but just with a good fit and whilst 10 other guys will be wearing some really bad print t-shirt, I'll be wearing a nice simple grey one that fits better than theirs and is simple yet effective.

Style Icon
    I think age definately plays a big part - I am 18 and you're right, a shirt is what people our age save for going out on a Friday night. (And a ghastly republic, denim one as well)

For the record, I pretty much do wear shirts and blazers every day and yes, I do look out of place. But that's my look and I'm not going to change it for anyone (until I get bored =P).

Also, it does work both ways. One of the reasons I do dress up is because the sort of girl I'm drawn to IS fashionably-minded. Style is such an intrinsic part of my life that I'd struggle to go out with someone who just threw on a Superdry hoody...

unless they looked like Zooey Deschanel. She's perfect.

Jay

Style Icon
    If you think being stylish is going to pay off and get you the attention of womankind when you're older, you're in for a big letdown.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you think being stylish is going to pay off and get you the attention of womankind when you're older, you're in for a big letdown.

We're doomed.

Trend Setter
    Big letdown you say? Well then, I'll be slipping into my old trusty jeans and tee then.Seriously why ? o.O

FashionBeans Staff
    There is absolutely no reason to go ugly early, raise your standards and block out the trolls, which will more than likely represent a good 90% of the female population. You've got a better chance of finding an attractive woman, who appreciates your style if you are more selective. It is also sensible to not forget that the same 90% of females you should be trying to avoid, are also the 90% that can't actually dress themselves, let alone appreciate a man that does actually have an understanding of style.

Don't think about what they want; think about what you want.

+ Reply to Thread