FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Style Icon

What Women REALLY Want

I just read the excellent article on here about what women want in a man's style. As much as I enjoyed reading it, I would like to (respectfully of course) disagree.

You see, I don't think most women do like men who put lots of effort into looking smart. Take me for example. I reguarly get complimented by women on my dress sense but when it comes to actually being attracted to someone, its a different story. I suspect that quite a few women are actually deterred by my dress sense writing me off as "gay," "vain" or worst of all..."indie".

Alot of girls tend to go for "rugged" guys, a description that doesn't sit very well in the same sentence as "fashionable".

Am I being cynical? Am I just plain wrong? Or am I (most likely) dating the wrong women?

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I agree with you on this one bud i think there needs to be a balance between the two.

Style Icon
    I've had girls ask why I don't wear trackies...

Bottom line? Fashionably girls know who's fashionable. And if a girl won't date you because of the clothes you're wearing, then she's not a girl you'd want to date.

Fashionisto
    If they're even so much as thinking you're "gay", "vain" or "indie" for dressing out of the norm (which in my area at least is pretty easy to do), then they're not worth it if you ask me. I do get you though, and there seems to be a similar attitude around where I live. Unfortunately you either have to live with it, or mix in some more common clothing if it really concerns you.

[edit]Though I must admit it can work for me the other way; I'm not particularly hard to please by looks, but depending how a girl dresses I might send my interest off a little. Hypocritical, but that's life.
    Last edited by paul-b; 15-04-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Trend Setter
    Hey, you know, just throwing this out there, but women aren't just one way, they are like people and stuff. Find one that likes you.

Style Icon
    I wasn't suggesting that women were a homogenous group by any means, rather that there is this phenomenon of women being put off by an immaculate fashion sense.

In a way it doesn't bother me, it means that I dress well for myself rather than just to get laid =)

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that women were a homogenous group by any means, rather that there is this phenomenon of women being put off by an immaculate fashion sense.

In a way it doesn't bother me, it means that I dress well for myself rather than just to get laid =)
    Wow, I was horendously drunk when I wrote this last night and I still pulled "homogenous" out of the bag....

geo

Fashionisto
    Agree with this - so many people (guys and women alike) do not appreciate the way certain people dress. But, the way I see it is that although people might not externally shout about appreciating it, they do internally, even if subconsciously. Consequently, if you were to stop dressing in your usual style, it would be very noticeable to these people, since they have become accustomed to you dressing in that certain way - even if they are not consciously aware of it.

That's a bit deep! But, the point I'm making is there are those who downright will never appreciate someone's style at all, then there are those who you think don't appreciate it, but often make a mental note of what you're wearing/you're style.

There's women who do appreciate it and women who don't..depends on who you mix with and many factors. Just how I might notice a stylish woman and appreciate it, another guy wouldn't take in whether she is wearing something flattering. All depends on priorities as well. Like how I notice on other guys things that are really ill fitting and baggy and who could look great with wearing the right size/a few alterations...but to them they either know no different/don't know how to get things to fit better/purely aren't bothered and nor are the people they associate with.

That's how I see it all anyway!

geo

Fashionisto
    Plus, not sure if anyone else is the same, but there's times when I wonder why I make life harder for myself and I'm so picky on fit and must look right and can't just shove any old thing on and not give a toss? Been wondering what makes a person concerned with things like style...like for me, I didn't exactly choose to be bothered, it's just the way I am.

Forgot to say as well, first and foremost people should dress to please themselves (not a certain type of woman)..because most probably it will be what you think they like, not what they actually like. And if you dress to please yourself/you're own way, you'll be more confident in yourself, and more likely to attract women - in theory anyway.

Trend Setter
    So true Geo, I wear what makes me feel comfortable and happy with myself (though wanting to appear attractive to the opposite sex is obviously a factor too), just like I lift weights to feel good about myself, but also partly to appear more attractive to women. Almost everything we do is, consciously or subconsciously, to attract the opposite sex. It's true of both men and women and explains why people often stop making such an effort once they are in a relationship (though I personally hate this trait in people).

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last