FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    geo

Trend Setter

Trouser Alterations: Slimming

I've got a pair of suit trousers that I want slimming/narrowing down in the overall cut of the trouser (not just leg opening). So basically, have the legs reduced evenly from top to bottom to retain the original shape, just narrower.

What I wanted to ask is, is this overall slimming down classed the same as tapering? I was under the impression tapering is just narrowing from the knee down, or narrowing the opening of the trousers.

Whereas what I require is a general slimming down of the trouser (not just at the very bottom). Is this still classed as tapering or should I be asking the tailor for a general slimming of the trouser?

Hope this makes sense - I'm not after a "carrot shaped" effect, just a general slimmer silhouette - which invariably involves narrowing of the bottom but also nearer the top of the trouser as well. Anyone who is au fait with alterations and things, would be grateful for your comments.

Jay

Style Icon
    Yes, it's classed as tapering.

Nat

Style Icon
    If you take the slacks to a tailor and just explain what you want, they will sort it for you. They will pin them for you then and there, while you're wearing them, to make sure you're happy with the shape. Should cost less than 15

geo

Trend Setter
    Ok, thanks. Can anyone tell me how narrow/wide they get their suit/casual trouser leg openings in inches? Some suit trousers I have are 8 inches on the front so 16 inches overall and just seem to wide an opening...how narrow do you get yours altered?
    I want something more like this:

And with casuals I'm trying to find the perfect width, like this:

Last edited by geo; 17-04-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Nat

Style Icon
    I think it depends on several things, not least how big your legs/ankles are! Best thing is take it to the tailor and get them to pin and re-pin until you are happy with how it looks, and how it breaks around your shoes (unless you're going to wear them a bit short to show a bit of sock)

+ Reply to Thread