FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Requesting Advice Concerning Leather Jackets

Through the 19 years of my life, i've never owned a leather jacket, a secret that i have felt awkward and ashamed about due to the mass appeal of the leather jacket and its versatility. It has evaded me like a mythical beast, patrolling the vast open rainbow lands, just a whisker away from my grasp.

No more however, this year i have decided to tame this beast and need help from you lot! The problem being most styles i see concern the more Kooks/grungy look, which i wouldn't really feel that confident in pulling off, but if needs be, i'll tackle that problem if it arises.

I prefer the more preppy clean and presentable look, which i rarely come across when trawling through the lookbooks of many websites. Can you guys offer any advice in:

What style of leather jacket to mix into a preppy look?
    What colour should i aim for?

If it helps, i'm 5'10 and slim if that helps?

Thanks very much guys

TIP: I've underlined the main point, if the text is too much.

I suppose a varsity style one would work in a preppy look? Or just a clean brown bomber? Possibly with some shearling?

I have to say, I don't really associate preppy with leather jackets. They are more rock/utility in my eyes.

Here's a couple picks from a cursory google

https://marketplace.asos.com/listing...product_search

Levi's Made & Crafted¬*Two Tone Leather Varsity Jacket¬*|¬*MR PORTER

The second one will probably suit your style, unfortunately it is quite expensive though. Do you have a budget in mind mate?

Fashionisto
    you could always get this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qVTtnonYL.jpg

Seriously though, to me, a leather jacket is all about attitude, it shows all the wear and tear of the wearer. Its not so preppy as much as rock n roll. The varsity ones, although in the prep style dont look quite right imho.

I dont think you can go past a asymetric motorcycle jacket eg:

http://www.schottnyc.com/images/800x800/151_509.jpg

Fashionisto
    Pin: Yeah, see i fully understand what you mean in the sense of not really associating a leather jacket with the preppy look. The warm feel i think is what is associated with preppy(ness?) while the 'not giving a fuck' attitude (not in a bad way) is a sort of polar opposite? Thank you very much though for offering some examples, and in terms of a budget, i definitely couldn't go further than around £180. The christmas period is such a squeeze on my pockets, an i know this budget doesn't give too much space to look for in terms of finding quality and style, i am deeply sorry to all for this restriction.

Prince: Had a giggle at that guys ferocious yet awkward facial expression in his beloved leather 'i sing at Butlins every year' jacket. A real winner i suppose to a select group of people! On the serious note though, again, you're probably right. Incorporating a leather jacket into the style i aim for is probably a pipe dream, i should probably focus on bringing in some new pieces to go along with the leather jacket. Thank you for the motorcycle jacket idea, again, i have no idea what to pair it with effectively to fit with my tastes.

I've had a looky about for a varsity leather jacket (recommended by Pin), and i've come across this LITTLE PIECE but even then i'm not 100% sure it ticks all the right boxes for the style i have in mind.

Still open for more options and opinions though, from some more fashionable minds. Cheers all!

Anthony, if you're happy with the leather sleeve/wool body style, this will really float your boat. Fits rerally well with the Preppy style imo.

Uniforms for the Dedicated The Anthem Navy Jacket at Coggles.com online store

Bit out of your budget, but who knows what the sales will bring?

Fashionisto
    Pin, i must say, that is a fantastic find, very appreciated! My two usual suspects of colour are involved (brown and navy, i know that seems to make me out as very boring - maybe i am?) Great detailing and looks fantastic.

As you said however, it is outside my budget. But i'm sure the sales fairies will bring me some joy and sprinkle some of their percent off magic on this jacket (i hope atleast). If not, a serious consideration of stretching the budget will be mulled over. Thank you very much indeed for the find Pin!

As usual, i'm open for more ideas and some new angles even? The feedback i've had up to now has well surpassed my expectations. So again, thank you very much for the feedback and I welcome further advice on my conundrum!

That navy & brown jacket from Coggles is really nice, I may well make it my first foray into leather jacket territory...

+ Reply to Thread