FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Interview Suit Help

Hey guys.

I have an interview next Friday for an internal job position.

I don't own a suit... I know, right.

Anyway. I intend to buy one and am looking at the traditional grey or navy suit.

My question is - shoes. I have black, tan, dark brown, grey and oxblood. I am leaning more towards a navy suit with either a plain white / light blue shirt and a plain red tie or a gingham shirt that's navy and red chequered (very small squares) and again, the solid red or navy tie. This is something I will play about with once I have the suit to see which I feel more comfortable in / looks better to me.

I just don't know what to do shoe wise. Out of all of the choices above, what do you think would pair better?
    I could probably make the decision myself by trying it all on etc, but I wondered if there were any basics I should know when it comes to wearing suits given I haven't really worn one before.

The article Matt did last year on here was very helpful but shoes were not mentioned and I wondered if anyone could throw some advice my way?!

Oh, suit selection by the way is this bad boy:

ASOS Skinny Fit Suit in Navy at ASOS

Again, if anyone thinks this is totally wrong - please tell me! I intend to dress it up a lot more than the way this dude is wearin it haha.

Cheers in advance.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Aneres11 View Post
    Hey guys.

I have an interview next Friday for an internal job position.

I don't own a suit... I know, right.

Anyway. I intend to buy one and am looking at the traditional grey or navy suit.

My question is - shoes. I have black, tan, dark brown, grey and oxblood. I am leaning more towards a navy suit with either a plain white / light blue shirt and a plain red tie or a gingham shirt that's navy and red chequered (very small squares) and again, the solid red or navy tie. This is something I will play about with once I have the suit to see which I feel more comfortable in / looks better to me.

I just don't know what to do shoe wise. Out of all of the choices above, what do you think would pair better?
    I could probably make the decision myself by trying it all on etc, but I wondered if there were any basics I should know when it comes to wearing suits given I haven't really worn one before.

The article Matt did last year on here was very helpful but shoes were not mentioned and I wondered if anyone could throw some advice my way?!

Oh, suit selection by the way is this bad boy:

ASOS Skinny Fit Suit in Navy at ASOS

Again, if anyone thinks this is totally wrong - please tell me! I intend to dress it up a lot more than the way this dude is wearin it haha.

Cheers in advance.
    Personally, as it's an interview, I'd play it a little safer than I might normally. I'd go for the white shirt and navy tie with either the black or dark brown shoes. An interview isn't the time to flash the tan shoes (unless it's a job where being fashionable or slightly out there is usual).

The classic navy suit, white shirt, navy tie just looks incredible. If I'm meeting important clients then it's my go-to outfit. It never fails.

+ Reply to Thread