FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Question Op Shop Or Not?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys like to go Op Shopping or not?
    I know that most guys don't like to go op shopping. I find I'm into fashion, which is why I love to go to Op shops as you can cool new ideas,get really cool clothes that might not be in a 'normal' store and you can even save a couple of dollars to buy more stuff!

What are your thoughts? I'm interested

Nat

Style Icon
    Excuse my ignorance.... What's an Op Shop?

Trend Setter
    I believe it is australian/north american and is short for 'opportunity shop' . A bit like charity shops here. I visited a few in Aus many years ago, and they were much larger and more like TK Maxx than the small ones we get here run by elderly ladies. Though perhaps that is unfair and they were tidier than the average TK maxx!

Maybe I'm wrong though?

Yes i go Op shopping. Well charity shops, car boot sales and jumble sales and anywhere else that is available. In Exeter Devon there is a big Car Boot Sale on a Sunday morning @ Marsh Barton. It starts at around 7am ish. There is one stall there that does nothing but clothes. But he won't let anyone touch anything until 8am. He and his mate set up big long benches/tables and then they tip tons of clothes out all along in about 3 long rows. I buy a few bits from him at around 50p per item and 1 per coat. One week I bought ten suede coats @ 1 each, one was a Lady's Ben Sherman, the idea was that I was going to do a vintage fair and re-sale them, but it hasn't happened yet.

Vintage fairs are big time here in the UK now, and where are the sellers getting all the clobber, simple, car boot sales etc. The jacket I'm wearing in my profile piccy came from the Marsh Barton car boot sale for 50p. It was plain white so i painted the pocket flaps black. It's easy to get things like 60's scarves and ties etc too. I have a large selection of narrow ties from the 60's, none of which cost more than 1 each.
    Only problem is I now have two double wardrobes and two chests of drawers full to the brim.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I believe it is australian/north american and is short for 'opportunity shop' . A bit like charity shops here. I visited a few in Aus many years ago, and they were much larger and more like TK Maxx than the small ones we get here run by elderly ladies. Though perhaps that is unfair and they were tidier than the average TK maxx!

Maybe I'm wrong though?
    I don't know how the Charity shops are like in Aus or in the UK but in NZ, they are still small. Mostly only a room or two, and often run by super nice old ladies. Often the clothes are in really good condition and quality. If you're lucky they still have the original price tag still on.

And I come from Europe and I like fashion. But here guys don't care how they look, Shorts and a printed T-shirts all year long... So op shops are a great opportunity to find really cool clothes that may come form the US or Europe and at an amazing price!

Last week i went Op shopping and found really cool chinos (normally over $100) and they were just $7.50

Yes fashion or dressing well doesn't have to be about spending a fortune. You can simply pick out a style or an era that you want to re-create and go second-hand shopping. eBay of course is a good option, I usually go eBay USA for 'tab-collar' shirts as they are overpriced here in the Uk, and even with shippping costs you can still get a bargin. Some peope don't like second hand of course but i see it more as genuine vintage clothing, so I give it a more positive viewpoint.

+ Reply to Thread