FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Fashionisto
    I agree with Sam, there's actually quite a lot of variance in the FB street style. Whilst there's a lot that doesn't do much for me, I have picked up the odd idea, so it's been useful. Sure I'd like to see more pictures that suit my style, but that wouldn't cover the wide range of readers FB has, so in the end I think the balance isn't too bad as it is.

Trend Setter
    Honestly, sometimes this site, GQ, and others, makes me feel like "fuck fashion." Not fuck getting dressed, but fuck the culture and the industry. People dress creatively, publications make it mainstream, but turn it into just another thing to buy. I am stuck between wanting to make a real statement and having an artificial "statement" sold to me. Street style was a resistance to the buy-buy-buy fashion world, now it is part of that world. Makes me want to pull a Steve Jobs and wear one outfit for life.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    Honestly, sometimes this site, GQ, and others, makes me feel like "fuck fashion." Not fuck getting dressed, but fuck the culture and the industry. People dress creatively, publications make it mainstream, but turn it into just another thing to buy. I am stuck between wanting to make a real statement and having an artificial "statement" sold to me. Street style was a resistance to the buy-buy-buy fashion world, now it is part of that world. Makes me want to pull a Steve Jobs and wear one outfit for life.
    Exactly. 80% of those photos are just fashion industry wankers showing off their trend awareness at fashion week.

By the way, the pics I posted weren't to illustrate looks I like or would wear myself exactly, more just to show actual wearable fashion ideas. You could walk around wearing those outfits without people looking at you like you are insane. You could chat to girls confidently wearing those outfits and have a chance with them.

Ridiculous shit from today's fresh crop:

Are you telling me that if you saw someone wearing that lot on road, or posing for a photographer with their fucking feet pointing together, you would not want to clobber them around the head? If I put that on and walked around for the day, I would expect to be the object of much ridicule. And that foot-together pose OH MY FUCKIGN GODDDD kjlbkuyun;iubk

A street style blog that showcased stuff that normal guys wear that looks good would be a valuable resource. It seems all fashion lookbooks, from street-style, to high street, to high fashion, only cater for this uber self-aware, self absorbed, insider perception of what menswear should be. It'd be a great way for this site to position itself as a fashion site for the real man. All these images do is align you with the poncey fashionistas that no-one can realistically take seriously.

Edit: Just noticed the first guy has a CLUTCH. I mean seriously? If you walked around with a clutch, 99% of people would correctly assume that you are a prick.

Oh my god, the foot poses at well, that's NOT HOW MEN STAND!!! What happened to masculinity and being cool?
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 20-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Trend Setter
    Agreed, this section is not what it says on the tin.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Trend Setter
    I honestly don't think some those pics look half as bad as the way some people really dress on the average high street. Cuffed and drop crotch chino's, summer canvas shoes in the rain and snow, UGG boots and grey trackie pants, sportswear etc etc.

I quite like the first outfit, but admittedly would not wear it where I live. But then I think I would be the source of ridicule for wearing a lot of the outfits suggested on here tbh. I def get comments for wearing red chino's and even for wearing an unstructured blazer, because it is considered 'too smart'!

Having said all this, I can appreciate that an actual street based street style section would be great. I look at a range of fashion/style blogs that seem to have pics of people on actual streets, but they tend to be of streets in cities in other countries, which I assume, somewhat romantically/misguidedly are far more stylish than the town and cities of our fair isle!

Style Icon
    Okay, okay I have a few points of disagreement here:

1) What's the actual problem here? The fact that you could pull out realistic street style and high fashion pictures shows that FB actually has a variety which is good. You may thing those guys look ridiculous but I quite like the first look. In my mind, fashion is about individuality to an extent. As long as that individuality is grounded in a few basic rules of fit and colour, then go for it!!! Carry a clutch for all I care!

2) For many of the places where these photos are taken, this is street style! There are parts of London where it's completely normal to see people like that walking around. Even more so on the continent!

3) I really object to the idea that fashion inherently means being masculine. What about the guys that don't want to look masculine? I personally do to an extent, but I sometimes go for more "dandy" looks and if people want to call that "gay" then that's their problem not mine.

1) The problem is the 99 to 1 ratio of caricatures to real people in the pics.

2) Just because people walk around like that, doesn't mean it looks good. It is pretentious, pointless, unimaginitive and overdone.

3) I wasn't talking about fashion being masculine. I wear lots of clothes that certainly couldn't be deemed masculine. My jab was aimed at the ridiculous poses of these ridiculous posers. In fact, if the top guy wasn't standing in that absurd pose, he might look okay. That sort of thing is fine; let them get on with it if they want. I just thought that this site was about a breed of men's fashion that wants to retain masculinity and class. That pose would be unacceptable for a man, regardless of the outfit imo. Articles on here have touched on the importance of posture and how you carry yourself. Those poses are shameful.

Trend Setter
    Do the photographers not shoulder some of the blame for the poses?

Pretentiousness is obviously very subjective. But then possibly i would say that, since I have been accused of being pretentious a bit in my life I guess. Haha. I think I'd prefer a bit of this sort of pretension to snotty hipsters in almost identical outfits and and the drab monotony of everyday stuff i see in town.

Trend Setter

nuff said...

That one doesn't even need to be posted. I would literally point and laugh if I saw that person in life.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last