FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 4 5 6 7 Last

Style Icon
    I understand the point that this forum would, from initial glance, appear to strongly advocate an extremely smart, refined look which can look amiss in certain places and situations.

But slamming members for wearing such outfits is ridiculous. It's good to have diversity, but being rude about it is ridiculous. You can wear a chain from your jeans which are hanging halfway down your arse, but understand that look would get a lot more ridicule where I live than a blazer and a tie. Perhaps when you grow up you'll realise that blazers and ties can easily be worn in casual situations, without the underpinning threat of an inevitable beating.

If you want to beat people up for the clothes they wear, I suggest you hang around Trans-Mission on a Saturday night.
    Last edited by _Ben_; 27-05-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Fashionisto
    It's taken this long for the classic internet forum type-off to occur. That's good going in my book.

Sam

Style Icon
    In fairness I don't care for any blazer and brogues elitism. James Dean changed the world in jeans and a tee. "Ignorance" doesn't apply.
    That said, personal attacks are just needlessly abhorrent on the internet.

MW3_lid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In fairness I don't care for any blazer and brogues elitism. James Dean changed the world in jeans and a tee. "Ignorance" doesn't apply.
    That said, personal attacks are just needlessly abhorrent on the internet.
    Acid attacking someone is abhorrent. oh Rupert old chap he is just GHASTLY he is ABHORRENT!!! This is a discussion forum! haha, all i did was give my OPINION. Everyone here who cried needs to man up ffs. Load of 19 year old sailors.

didn't know it was a forum rule to have to say you like every post. anyway it's a crap forum so i won't be staying. good luck with it, you will need it.
    Last edited by MW3_lid; 28-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MW3_lid View Post
    Acid attacking someone is abhorrent. oh Rupert old chap he is just GHASTLY he is ABHORRENT!!! This is a discussion forum! haha, all i did was give my OPINION. Everyone here who cried needs to man up ffs. Load of 19 year old sailors.

didn't know it was a forum rule to have to say you like every post. anyway it's a crap forum so i won't be staying. good luck with it, you will need it.
    LOLOLOL

1st HOF thread?

Why is an "alternative" dresser (sounds like an emo to me) so bothered about what other people are wearing?

Style Icon
    Exactly. It's not that this forum can't accept diversity: it's that it's difficult to accept it from a member when they start slagging people off in other topics and saying X and Y is crap without a single valid reason, other than the fact you might get punched.

Additionally, I find it funny to be called a 19-year old sailor from a 12-year old with MW3 as part of their name.

Tom

Trend Setter
    I don't exactly advocate all the ranting etc, but I have to say I kind of agree with the one-sidedness on the site towards the smart end of the spectrum, not too much gets explored in terms of different social groups (the rockabilly style and looking good down the gym being the exceptions that spring to mind). Style is a big part of peoples identity and not everyone can or wants to roll into the bar at their local indoor snow slope dressed like they're going for a trip on the yacht or for a pint of Ale down the country club with their elbow patched tweed jacket, but it doesn't mean people don't want to look stylish in their own - yet different - circles. Having been to an event this weekend where nearly every girl looked the same and likewise for the guys, there's a strong argument for not wanting to adopt one of the key trends, and while there's a lot of talk of the rules and bending them in the context of their main application, it would be good to see the rules applied (and dissected/modified etc) in the context of different social/cultural groups.

Since Matt Allinson's style basics have covered all of the well... basics, the sites gone a bit more 'regular well paid city guy in a swanky bar', which unfortunately isn't me, and isn't the reason I first started using the site. Not to mention the benefit a broader range of articles here would have on the commercial potential of what's a well edited, presented and user-friendly site.

Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    Of course people are entitled to their own opinions, but to come onto a style forum and tell people they look awful is just a bit mean. Especially when this look is breaking every single rule in the book (and yes there ARE rules). He's wearing black jeans with brown shoes, a rather bland shirt, glasses that would embarrass my grandad and a chain which even most thirteen year olds have rejected for its sheer ridiculousnous.
    Just tremendous.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I don't exactly advocate all the ranting etc, but I have to say I kind of agree with the one-sidedness on the site towards the smart end of the spectrum, not too much gets explored in terms of different social groups (the rockabilly style and looking good down the gym being the exceptions that spring to mind). Style is a big part of peoples identity and not everyone can or wants to roll into the bar at their local indoor snow slope dressed like they're going for a trip on the yacht or for a pint of Ale down the country club with their elbow patched tweed jacket, but it doesn't mean people don't want to look stylish in their own - yet different - circles. Having been to an event this weekend where nearly every girl looked the same and likewise for the guys, there's a strong argument for not wanting to adopt one of the key trends, and while there's a lot of talk of the rules and bending them in the context of their main application, it would be good to see the rules applied (and dissected/modified etc) in the context of different social/cultural groups.

Since Matt Allinson's style basics have covered all of the well... basics, the sites gone a bit more 'regular well paid city guy in a swanky bar', which unfortunately isn't me, and isn't the reason I first started using the site. Not to mention the benefit a broader range of articles here would have on the commercial potential of what's a well edited, presented and user-friendly site.

Just tremendous.
    Okay, firstly I better highlight I was very angry when I wrote this and it doesn't reflect my whole philosophy on style aha.

However, I do think you're making a very common mistake and mixing up "class" with being "refined". Your use of the phrase "social groups" betrays that. I'm an eighteen year old student and I definately don't have any middle/upper class pretensions by dressing in a blazer and brogues. I just feel that in the real world that makes a better impression that carrot jeans and print t-shirts.

Also you can look refined in very casual clothes. As Sam pointed out, a well-fitting, minimalist t-shirt and jeans, paired with a nice leather jacket and desert boots is just as refined as the blazer and brogues cliche. However, when I see someone wearing low-slung jeans and a chain hanging from their pocket, yes that maybe their style, but it's not "stylish" as I see it.

"Personal style" does exist and it's valid, but it's also used to justify ridiculous looks. Some rules ARE made to be broken, but some people know how to break them properly and other people just throw something on without any consideration, and call it "unique".
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Tom

Trend Setter
    I'm not mixing up class and refinement, my point is more (rather trying to say..) what you said - that this stuff is all versatile. The site takes a lot of different outfits/garments and always seems to show us that refinement, even the 'dressing down' is a refined casual look here. Why not go backwards from refinement and show us more of an insight into how to integrate the clothes shown on the site into your mainstream/indie kid/middle class dad/hip hop/punk/skater/snowboarder/roaming vagrant lifestyle? You can go to a hardcore punk show and find a guy in boat shoes, jeans and a t-shirt but he won't look anything like someone in Monaco wearing boat shoes, jeans and a t-shirt, but it will always be the latter shown on fashion beans as being the thing to do, depite not applying to everybody reading the article who may have a sense of loyalty to some scene that they're a part of.

Quick edit: Totally agree that 'personal' style is used to commit some dreadful fashion crimes, but so are boyband driven high street trends and high fashion (hence the OP's reason for this thread while it was still on topic lol) so it's tit for tat on that point.
    Last edited by Tom; 29-05-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Style Icon
    I mean depends what you mean by "loyalty" to a scene. I mean I actually consider myself part of the hardcore/metalcore scene. I've played in the bands for years and continue to listen to the music and go to the gigs. However, band tees, spray on jeans and vans slip ons are not my thing. So I don't wear them.

I've always found dressing based on your lifestyle/music taste rather restricting. But then again, I have quite a broad music taste.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 4 5 6 7 Last