FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Street Style On This Site

Dear All

Re: The Street Style section on this site (and street style blogs in general)

I am starting to find it annoying that all Street Style sections on every website are dominated by Fashion Week posers and hipster noblets. I actually found this site looking for Street Style images. I find it one of the most useful reference points for fashion inspiration, and one of the most legitimate sources of trend news, yet few sites seem to carry genuine people sporting wearable looks. There is a place for conceptual, high-fashion malarkey in all of this, but it'd be great to see some normal people styling it out, and not with the cliché blazer, chinos brogues stuff or ludicrously pretentious haute couture.

Basically more of this:

And less of the ridiculous fucking posers

Trend Setter
    Agree 100%

Jay

Style Icon
    Personally, I find very little appealing in any of the photos you linked; none of it is really my style, so probably am drawn to a lot of the images you dislike. Horses for courses, I guess.

Having said that, even though the site does tend to cater towards my style more so shouldn't complain, there is a growing tendency across the whole site to rehash the basic blazer, oxford shirt, skinny chinos and (tan) brogues aesthetic endlessly to the point where I skip through articles without reading any more as it's usually the same old same old. There is a definitely an increasing lack of variety, so if you are looking for the above, then, yeah, I agree its in short supply across the site.

Style Icon
    I think the problem is that this size has to provide a simple way for beginners to reinvent their look and look good in general. The blazer/brogues/oxford shirt is a great starting point. The problem is where to go from there.

Personally, I agree with Jay that there is little about that kind of street style that I like. And in a way, I quite like the ridiculous parisian hipsters from time to time. They encourage me to be a little bit braver and out of the ordinary or sometimes just make me feel better about not looking as much of an idiot as they do aha!

However, I agree with the general thing you're gettin at.

Sam

Style Icon
    I quite enjoy "high" fashion. It's exciting and interesting, and it at least compromises for the inherent "buy-my-shit" of fashion shows by being challenging and vaguely arty. And in street style blogs, the "buy-my-shit" factor is gone. It's just people dressing themselves in weird and wonderful ways. It's a great place for inspiration but equally a great place for admiration.

Style Icon
    I agree Sam. I actually think a mix of the two would be good. I have to side with Jay too, some of the examples of outfits which most of us might wear can be pretty bad (I personally wouldn't dress like any of those people, Pins, although the first chap's look suits him).

I think a high-street lookbook would be a good idea, as the products used would be easily accessible and thus perfectly possible to obtain (although if it caught on we'd see the same outfits everywhere...)

Trend Setter
    Disagree with this, the whole point in the high end stuff is generally, they know how to put together something well, if you see something you like, you take an idea from it but perhaps buy a more affordable version.

Trend Setter
    All those photos are hideous except the last one which is basically how every chav and student dresses round here no matter the weather. The street style section on FB is pretty good compared to most sites I've been on. I enjoy browsing it now and then, my only complaint would be more photos! can never have enough inspiration.

Fashionisto
    This is very timely, it was only yesterday that I was moaning about the repitition on here.

The blazer/trouser/brogue is getting a bit of a tired formulae.

I would definitely be interested.in seeing something with a more casual leaning

Sam

Style Icon
    I would add that the street style on FaBe is superbly varied, which isn't surprising considering the amount of sites it draws on.
    Also, when I saw that first pic you posted on the site, I didn't really get it; from a distance it looked pretty basic, verging on bad. But he gives a staid "hip-hop" cap-backwards look a fresh twist with those cropped jeans and the perfectly co-ordinated stripe patterns.
    Some of those pictures are pretty good - though the guy in the massive scarf and shredded jeans doesn't really look great to my eyes. The guy below him definitely does, however - although incidentally I'd have lumped him in with the catwalk crowd myself. Check out those tubes.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last