FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Winter Layering Combinations - Thoughts?

I love winter because i love layering but wondered what you think to the following -

Cardigans look rubbish unless worn with something with a collar underneath;
    Heavy knit jumpers make layering options very difficult;
    T-shirts under shirts can be a great look.

Am I right?

FashionBeans Staff
    - I think having a collar does help a bit with cardigans but I certainly wouldn't say they look rubbish without, I regularly wear cardigans with t shirts, they're a great way to add another layer to a casual outfit.

- I would agree to some extent, a thick knit, heavy weight jumper is going to uncomfortable with too much under it (especially if its a roll neck) and you might struggle to get anything other than a coat over to top of it without looking a bit stretched; you have to get a balance between a thick knit and a comfortable jumper, some are designed to be worn on their own whilst others are more suitable for layering.

- as a method of layering t shirts can look good under shirts but only if left undone, a buttoned up shirt with a tee underneath is just wrong, whats the point of a tee under a shirt if its all done up? aesthetically speaking at least.

Fashionisto
    1. I personally don't wear cardigans really, have never appealed to me. But i guess i can offer judgement from just seeing them about - I prefer seeing a cardigan with a collared shirt underneath really, failing that a polo. But, some people pull off cardigans with tshirts really well, great laid back look i suppose?
    2. Heavy knit jumpers can indeed be a pain the rear for layering purposes, but i would seriously consider other options of jumpers that are more 'layer friendly'? Lambswool is a great insulator and the lambswool jumpers i own are quite thin yet very very warm, especially with a shirt on underneath. If you do insist on wearing a heavy knit jumper, why not mix it up a bit and have a button up one? Makes layering much more easier i guess by wearing it open, shirt on underneath? Just an idea.
    3. I've never really tried this look ever, but like point 1, i've seen it done. The style its done in is really the clincher for me, as in, a check shirt with a slogan tshirt on underneath is great for a lazy day, but in stlye purposes a more rugged approach to it with some great boots and appropriate jeans can make the style more unique?
    All my opinions really, and i'm sorry i can't offer more insight into the points.

Sam

Style Icon

Lightbulb

-Definitely nothing to this one; a cardigan with a tee can be a good look and a cardigan with a henley or granddad shirt can be pretty cool too. So I disagree on this one.
    -True, they are restrictive. You just need something set aside that fits slightly large to accommodate your knit - say, a gilet or an overcoat. You also need to nail the fit of the knit itself.
    -Yep, as long as you use a heavyweight casual shirt - a dress shirt with this look would be utterly abhorrent.

There are some great layering looks from Cos that I really like at the minute:

Jay

Style Icon
    The width of hoodie paired with the roll neck third lookbook reminded me of this, Sam:

Back on topic:

I prefer cardigans with a collar, but then I'm the sort who tends to have my cardigans buttoned for a smarter, cleaner, slimmer look. A shirt buttoned underneath compliments that look very well, ut I think cardigans can also look great with tees, henleys or even finer knitted roll necks underneath too. Even the cardigan plus shirt plus tee/roll neck can work if done right.

Heavier knits do make layering more difficult. Layering underneath them isn't a problem, and if the item is fitted then you can get a blazer working well with them (I do this with my Reiss cable knit). However, some of the chunkier knits (I'm thinking some of this season's Allsaints cables) are just too chunky to take anything other than a coat over the top.

I rarely wear tees under shirts myself, but then I'm one of those who tends to have my shirts buttoned all the way up so it would be rather pointless.
    Last edited by Jay; 11-12-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: grammar

+ Reply to Thread