FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Newbie With A Question On Fit

Howdy y'all

New to this forum

New to this whole dressing better thing, and have a quick question on getting clothes that fit.

Basically i have a reasonably athletic build (biggish chest and shoulders, with a little waist) (and am 6ft if that matters).

According to most sizing my chest size falls into the extra large category, but even if i buy a size down (large) my clothes still billow out at the waist. When i go for medium on say a t-shirt it fits the waist but is tight around the chest giving the I'm wearing a tight t-shirt to the gym look.

With a shirt (casual, as im a student formal never really happens) medium isn't an option It looks stretched, and large removes all shape as sides billow out while still being a tight fit on chest (which i have now kinda come accustomed to).

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sam

Style Icon
    Sounds abhorrent but try plain tees from Abfitch/Hollister; IIRC they're "muscle fit", which sounds like it will suit you.

Style Icon
    Might have to get some stuff tailored mate. I have an different problem: I'm very slender but very long and tall. I have to buy huge blazer sizes to get them to fit me but then have the sides and shoulders taken in so it fits my tiny circumference.

FashionBeans Staff
    Shirts you will be able to get altered to fit, won't cost much and they will fit much better and considering you don't wear them that much, your outlay will be minimal.

T shirts on the other hand are a different issue, you will have to shop around to find a brand whose sizes suit your body shape, follow Sam's advice and check out the unmentionables, just avoid anything with any branding.

Nat

Style Icon
    I have a similar issue - 6ft, 42/44in chest, but 32in waist. For jackets I buy something that fits the shoulders, then get it taken in at the waist by my tailor. For shirts, I find that anything labelled "slim fit" or tailored fit" tends to work quite nicely. I get most of my work shirts from M&S, and just make sure to avoid regular-fit ones (which billow out at the waist horribly). Taking a shirt to the tailors seems overkill to me (wouldn't a seamstress be better anyway?!) unless you are wearing very expensive shirts, which I don't.

For t-shirts, I am yet to nail this one myself, though have found Gap and H&M to be pretty good for the basics.

+ Reply to Thread