FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2
    Tom

Trend Setter
    For the rest of us practical people, not falling on our arses matters quite a bit too because looking cool goes out the window when you're shooting across the floor in a shower of shopping bags.

Slippery soles aside, Gensons sock advice on that page is spot on.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    For the rest of us practical people, not falling on our arses matters quite a bit too because looking cool goes out the window when you're shooting across the floor in a shower of shopping bags.

Slippery soles aside, Gensons sock advice on that page is spot on.
    Hence, grating or slashing leather soles. Becauee being stylish and practical isn't mutually exclusive.

Solving the problem of a little slippiness that lasts only a few wears by permanently altering the look of the shoe for the worse is a ridiculous solution.
    Last edited by Jay; 27-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.

yeah the slippiness is mostly easing now... great pair of shoes, worth every penny.

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by RMKF View Post
    yeah the slippiness is mostly easing now... great pair of shoes, worth every penny.
    It is ALWAYS worth investing in proper high quality shoes, the colour is better, the material is better, the shape is better, they last longer. Shoe quality is very noticeable, its the same as with bespoke tailoring, even if you know nothing about it, you can still see that something is better than normal; if you are wearing decent shoes, it really does show.

Just make sure you look after them

agree completely, it's my first pair of grensons. in the last 6/7 months i've had decent luck jobwise so can afford a lot more for clothes, but i can already tell it's massively different buying a rolls royce shoe like grenson brogues. non-stop compliments when you wear them plus they're a real foundation for any outfit. already thinking about a second pair in a diff style.

will prob try polish etc to keep them durable.

Style Icon
    I agree too. My 12 Barker's always get a lot of comments: especially when I mention the price!

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by RMKF View Post
    agree completely, it's my first pair of grensons. in the last 6/7 months i've had decent luck jobwise so can afford a lot more for clothes, but i can already tell it's massively different buying a rolls royce shoe like grenson brogues. non-stop compliments when you wear them plus they're a real foundation for any outfit. already thinking about a second pair in a diff style.

will prob try polish etc to keep them durable.
    Get some leather cream as well, go to Jones Boot makers if you can and get some of their coloured creams, I use their dark brown stuff on Loake Cannons and it really helps keep everything protected and it makes a big difference to the shine, use it every time you polish your shoes, wait for it to dry and then buff the shoes with a cloth, then use some polish, leave it on over night if you can and then buff of with a brush in the morning. Invest in some horsehair brushes, they work much better.

+ Reply to Thread