FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Grenson Shoes... Slippery?

So I got myself a pair of these shoes and am delighted with them...

One problem though, wore them today in the rain and they are extremely slippery, the sole is inclined to slip as I stretch to walk. I didn't fall on my face but it did mean being a bit careful.

I know the sole is very varnished and shiny when you buy it, is it just a matter of letting them naturally scuff up? Or should I apply something to the sole?

OR do I just not wear these in the rain? Seems a strange problem for such an expensive shoe.

Trend Setter
    Try not to wear them in the rain until the soles are worn in a bit and naturally scuffed up. Also Grenson suggest rubbing potato onto the sole!

Grenson | Shoe Care

Ah cool, I'll break out the Converse for a few days until the weather smartens up.

I'm Irish so I have plenty of potatoes lying around... assuming another famine doesn't come along suddenly

Great potato gag, 5*

You can use a grater on the bottom, or just do a kind of shuffling dance on some rough ground.

with the potatoes do you actually rub cooked or raw potato onto them? chips or roasted or what? baked? sautéed???

i'm assuming raw potato would scuff them?

Trend Setter
    Put a rubber sole on them? Much more practical.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Put a rubber sole on them? Much more practical.
    Why ruin a beautiful pair of shoes by slapping a hideously monstrous slab of rubber on the bottom? Grate 'em as Pins said, or slash the soles with a a sharp knife and job done; no more slippiness.

Trend Setter
    Slightly dramatic. See the thing about the sole is that you walk on them. I have had rubber soles put on a few times in the past, aesthetically the difference is minimal. And with leather soles they can get water and salt damaged too, although obviously not as big a thing coming into summer.

Trend Setter
    Just go out in the road and moonwalk... you'll soon make them grip!

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Slightly dramatic. See the thing about the sole is that you walk on them. I have had rubber soles put on a few times in the past, aesthetically the difference is minimal. And with leather soles they can get water and salt damaged too, although obviously not as big a thing coming into summer.
    For some of us, those small attentions to detail when it comes to style matter.
    Last edited by Jay; 27-04-2012 at 06:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread