FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Unless you go clubbing in Mayfair I can't personally see why anyone would particularly want to wear tassel loafers to a club that probably has drinks spilt all over the dance floor and or piss covered floors in the gents.
    Mine are an old pair from Tk Maxx with a flat rubber sole and crappy leather which I only wear for clubbing now, so it doesn't really bother me.

Style Icon
    It's never really been a problem for me. I don't tend to go to really big scummy oceana-esque clubs these days, and even the ones that verge on that, I don't really get involved in busy, sweaty dancefloors. Even at the age of 18, I've accepted that I'm way too lanky to ever look good dancing.

I tend to just stay near the bar, chatting with friends, enjoying the music, talking to a girl or two. I'm not nearly as likely to get vodka and cranberry juice thrown all over my nice brogues in that situation. =)
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Night Out: brown brogues, quirky pink or yellow socks, indigo jean, white shirt, tweed blazer, pocket square to match the socks.
    Pub: sand desert boots, navy chinos, white Fred Perry with red tipped collar, beige harrington.
    Evening Date: brown brogues (polished of course), quirky yellow or pink socks, indigo jeans, yellow button-down, light grey blazer, pocket square matching socks.
    Supermarket: black tassled loafers, navy chinos, white polo shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep Boy View Post
    Mine are an old pair from Tk Maxx with a flat rubber sole and crappy leather which I only wear for clubbing now, so it doesn't really bother me.
    I have a go-to pair of boots that I pretty much only wear for clubbing.

Any half-decent shoes aren't worth being ruined at Oceana.

Fashionisto
    A night out on the town/clubbing
    Depends entirely on the location. If I'm going to my local club, I'd throw on a shirt or plain tee, skinny jeans/chinos and hi-tops/trainers. If it's a weekend away with the boys in a city like London, Bristol, Dublin etc I'd retain the hi-tops/trainers and the skinny bottoms. I might jazz up the top half with a nicer shirt and a blazer depending on the venue. I never make too much of an effort these days, if you do its so easy to look like a bellend. One of the many things I've learnt from this site is to keep it simple.

A quick trip to the pub with a couple of mates
    Not too different from the previous one. My local which I adore is a massive dive so obviously I'd avoid the blazer or expensive shirt for this challenge. EVERY outfit I put on is determined by whats on the bottom half. Once I've got the jeans/chinos/shorts etc and footwear sorted then the world is my oyster. I'd probably throw on a pair of jeans, brown boots and a plain t-shirt.

An evening date
    I've only ever been on one date. Met a pretty girl in a club, we exchanged numbers and I agreed to take her to the cinema a couple of weeks later. Fair to say this was years before I came across FashionBeans. I remember wearing a pair of dodgy baggy jeans with black Ben Sherman shoes. A blue hooded chavvy jacket from Burtons and then the diamond of the outfit, a "Star in the Hood" Tinchy Stryder tee, black with neon green slogan. Beauty is not just skin deep boys, four years later I'm still with this girl. If I was to take her out for a meal (a proper date) I'd wear a smart pair of shoes, possibly chelsea boots. Slim/skinny jeans, a nice shirt and possibly a blazer/sports jacket.

A trip to the supermarket
    Now this is the best of the bunch. For me, the supermarket is the perfect place to test out new outfits. Sounds ridiculus I know but where better to stroll around to test out the durability and comfort of an outfit? If I am forced to go food shopping, I'll go late on in the evening to avoid any queues and people in general. So I'm not so much trying to attract attention, I'm just trying to see if I'm comfortable in that said outfit by bolting around Tesco buying steak.

I'll have a go;

A night out on the town/clubbing
    Depends on where we're going. If it's clubbing (somewhere like gatecrasher etc), I'd probably go with a shirt (the kind you don't tuck in) and some chinos. My two favourites colours chinos I have right now are burgundy or dark green. I'd nearly always wear a pair of boots, probably the darker the better. I have a couple pairs of brogues that are sort of my go-to shoes but I don't want them ruined whilst clubbing.

I have a pair of very dark brown boots that are absolutely perfect for this kind of occasion. Sturdy, comfortable and they can take 25 people stepping on my feet a night. Best thing about them is they're dark, so they hide any signs of wear a dark nightclub.

If I were perhaps going to some more up-market bars, I could wear some of the shirts I wear whilst clubbing but sometimes I'd swap them out for a button-down gingham shirt (tucked in) with a leather belt. I'd probably choose the same chinos and I'd wear them with some brogues. If it were a particular nice kind of venue, I might add a navy blazer with a pocket square and definitely wear a shirt that's tucked in.

A quick trip to the pub with a couple of mates

Casual really. I'd probably wear slim-fit, dark navy jeans paired with a plain v-neck t shirt (a subtle v-neck, not the horrible deep v-neck lad-fashion you see these days). I'd probably go with my Dune leather trainers which I absolutely love for casual wear - really comfortable, stylish and that little bit smarter than average trainers.

An evening date

I'd probably go with navy blazer, plain tee, slim-fit jeans/chinos and some brogue boots. Casual and/or formal enough for any venue really whether it be a local pub, an up-market bar or a restaurant.

Fashionisto

Cool thread idea

To a club

Normally go to nights at pretty awful venues (warehouses etc) so footware is a cheap pair of trainers that I dont mind getting destroyed. Normally a pair of VANS type pumps from asos or topman. Pair that with blue super skinny jeans, a printed tee and my leather biker jacket. If its a hot and sweaty club then the jacket can go in the cloak room, if its cold in there the leather keeps me warm.

To the pub with mates

I tend to dress up more for the pub, pretty much always a pair of brogues, teamed with either chinos or trousers (last time i went I wore a pair of very lightly cut off tweed trousers) along with a tasteful pair of coloured socks (burgundy or mustard). Up top its normally an oxford shirt with button down collar (generally untucked) and if its cold a cable knit jumper. Either a beige topman mac or a blue navy peacoat on top depending on the weather along with a choice of scarf if its really cold out.

To the supermarket

Whatever i have on that day! So a pair of chinos or jeans, quite often a paul smith or fred perry polo and one of the aforementioned jackets.

On a date

Been a while since I went on an actual date as im getting married this year! My last date (5 years ago!) I think I wore black/very dark grey super skinny jeans, a light grey v neck tee, black leather biker jacket and a pair of black winklepickers finished off with a pair of raybans (it was sunny). I dressed a lot more rock and roll back then!

These days if we go out on a date I normally wear similar stuff to my pub outfits, although I might smarten up a bit more with a nicer pair of skinny grey trousers!

+ Reply to Thread