FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Style Icon

The "What Would You Wear?" Game

Okay, rules are:
    • There are four imaginary scenarios. For each one, give a basic outline of what your standard outfit would consist of if you found yourself in such a scenario.
    • You don't need actual specific pieces, just the general things that make up the outfit (a cardigan, for example, or a slim pair of indigo jeans)
    So the scenarios are:
    1. A night out on the town/clubbing
    2. A quick trip to the pub with a couple of mates
    3. An evening date
    4. A trip to the supermarket
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Style Icon
    Night out:
    Really this is weather dependent, but most likely a pair of darkish skinny jeans, a shirt, blue (cotton) double breasted blazer, brogues/oxfords and matching belt. Most probably tan oxfords and matching belt to add some colour to the outfit (although they can get ruined by drink spillages...) If the weather is really hot then a merino cardigan.

Pub:
    Similar as above, really. Perhaps my All Saints Missile Duffle Coat or a waxed jacket for added warmth? (Not worn inside, obviously).

Date:
    The same as the club, dependent on the venue. Add a pocket square or a tweed blazer if need be, and perhaps a jumper dependent on weather. Some blue trousers, rolled to see a flash of socks would also suffice. And my Mac adds a certain importance to the outfit. The leather jacket if I'm feeling lethal.

Supermarket:
    my camouflage pink onsie.

EDIT: i can't stop changing my mind.

Style Icon
    Very similar choices to mine, almost down to every item on the night out scenario!

Night out:

Slim jeans or chinos, shirt, lightweight blazer (probably my blue doublebreasted), brown brogue boots or tan brogues.

Pub:

Probably very similar to the above, maybe swapping the blazer for a peacoat and incoporating some knitwear into the outfit. A tee-shirt would be acceptable here.

Date:

Oxford Shirt, Chinos, brogues, v-neck jumper, tweed/wool blazer and pocket square. Can't go wrong with the simple combinations!

Supermarket:

Strangely enough, these days I find myself dressing quite smart pretty much ALL the time. I'd probably still be wearing at least the peacoat and brogues, if not a blazer still. The only "dressing down" I ever really do is wear a tee rather than a shirt, or wearing some slightly older, more "casual" chinos.

I think the supermarket one is going to be the most revealing!
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Style Icon
    Regarding the supermarket one, I would most likely wear any of the items I had previously listed. I have filtered my wardrobe down to items I would happily be seen in anywhere, and the supermarket is no different. I wear brogues if I'm just popping out to take the bins out sometimes (it helps to brake them in a bit ).
    Indeed, I might actually be more experimental with the supermarket scenario: I'm not dressing for anyone but myself.

Fashionisto
    My choice seems to differ to the previous fellas, but hey, each to their own!

Night out/clubbing -
    Id probably go with a t shirt, either stiped or block coloured, with my navy slim blazer, sleeves rolled up, slightly casual, few accesories, chinos would be dependent on how loud the t shirt is, but red or petrol blue, and then most likely navy suede desert boots, chinos just slightly rolled up

Pub -
    Knitwear piece, most likely a fair isle cardigan, or a merino, paired with a t shirt again, chinos/jeans finished off with loafers or deck shoes

Date -
    Hmmm tricky, this would depend where youre going on the date, cant choose one for this scenario!

Supermarker -
    Not going to lie, probably just be a polo shirt, jacket if chilly, chinos and a pair of all black converse to be honest haha!

Style Icon
    It's pretty variable and dependent on the weather and what's clean, so a few outfits I can remember wearing recently in these situations:

Clubbing - Brown leather tassel loafers, red chinos (bright end of burgundy), smart brown belt, white/navy fine dogstooth shirt. Don't like to wear anything too nice as it's bound to get sweaty/covered in drink, so it's usually variations on this theme.

Pub - tends to be where I'm likely to dress up most or experiment. Last time it was brown suede tassel loafers, burgundy socks, indigo skinnies, brown suede plait belt, light blue oxford, grey flannel blazer. Didn't have a pocket square but I'd add my white one with a blue border if i repeated the outfit.

Date - probably similar to the pub outfit but rather location-dependent.

Supermarket - probably jacket/t-shirt/jeans/boots; something like plain white t-shirt, green field jacket and desert boots in spring, or burgundy t-shirt, grey peacoat and brogue boots in winter.

Trend Setter
    Clubbing - you guys make a hell of an effort when you go clubbing, I'd be absolutely roasting wearing that much! I wouldn't normally wear more than a shirt and chinos or jeans to a 'run of the mill' club because it's normally so hot once inside the club and the chances of getting drink spilled on my clothes is quite high. I'd only get dressed up in a blazer and oxfords if I know I'm just going to a smart bar or two and not going to a grimy club after.

Pub - I actually make more effort when I'm going out to the pub, because it's quite a sociable place and usually presents a better opportunity to pull. In the summer I'll normally go with a cotton blazer over a smart shirt, with some light coloured chinos and some loafers.

Date - at this time of year, something similar to the above, but maybe something a bit more formal than chinos and loafers if it's a date at a restaurant.

Supermarket - this is where I make the least effort, I'll normally just wear jeans, a t-shirt, and maybe my trusty leather jacket or something similar.

FashionBeans Staff
    Clubbing - CREW neck tee (which immediately marks me out from the tonic scoop masses) probably white, burgundy or black, Indigo Skin tight jeans and either Vans authentic or my Addias Cieros. Or if I'm feeling really special I'll put on a check shirt, black skinny jeans and black chelsea boots. I've totally given up with wearing anything expensive; I just can't deal with all the cleaning the next day and to be honest my standards mean that I wouldn't touch 95% of the female content of a club with a bus so I just rely on my face to attract attention.

Pub - I'll make more of an effort here because I won't get coke spilt on me, I'll probably even crack out my nice shoes. Oxford shirt, Beige Harrington, indigo skinny jeans, Grenson chukka boots. Or I won't bother that much and i'll wear skin tight skinny jeans, tee, hoodie and varsity jacket

Date - Now! I'd definitely make more of an effort, depending on the place I'd probably crack out my double monks, lose the socks, off white/putty chinos, white shirt, grey DB jacket and a pop of colour with a pocket square.

Supermarket - Same as the pub really.

Now that I've started to spend more of my days outside of my house I make more of an effort to dress well. I'm currently plague by a wardrobe thats only about a foot and a half wide so my clothing selection is pretty small but its getting there.

Fashionisto
    I tend to oscillate between looking like a complete tramp with nill dress sense or really well put together. It totally depends on my mood.

Quite often if I go to the gym I'll find myself at the pub after so will be in joggers and the shittest trainers imaginable.

And likewise I could be in a pub and end up in town clubbing.

Gonna stop wearing nice shoes when I go in clubs though already trashed several suede pairs by making that error

Trend Setter
    Unless you go clubbing in Mayfair I can't personally see why anyone would particularly want to wear tassel loafers to a club that probably has drinks spilt all over the dance floor and or piss covered floors in the gents.

+ Reply to Thread